Chapter Three

Começar do início

“Well, yeah. And I have eyes.” Aarushi deadpanned, rolling them for emphasis.

Will shook his head. “I’m glamoured. And so was Markus, as far as I saw. You shouldn’t be able to see us. And didn't you say he was talking to someone? You saw that guy too, right?” Will exclaimed, his brows shooting up. “And why were you so surprised about Markus being a fallen angel? I assumed you knew what they were…”

“I know what fallen angels are! But they’re not supposed to have wings, right? You said that yourself. But Markus does!”

“What? No he doesn’t! I’ve been following him for years now, and I haven't seen any wings.”

“Well, I saw them. I was on my way to my bike, and I heard someone whispering. I peeked around the corner and there he was. With those huge, black wings on his back.”

“Black wings?” 

“Yep, like a crow’s but shinier. And they had talons at their ends too. That’s why I'd stayed there. I was shocked. And then I realized he was talking to someone else in this language I couldn't understand. And I just kept staring, wondering if I was dreaming. Until he saw me. And he talked as if he’d been looking for me. Like he knew me. Well he knows my name, so I guess he does know me. Anyway, that’s when I ran.” Aarushi shuddered.

“How did he acquire wings? That’s impossible.” Will grumbled, mostly to himself.

“Maybe the guy he was talking to had something to do with it?” Aarushi suggested.

“Right. Tell me more about him.”

“I couldn’t really see him clearly. I thought that it was because I was blindsided by Markus wings, but now that I think about it, it was mostly because my eyes kept straying away from him, even if I wanted to look at him. Is that how the glamour thing works?”

“Not exactly. Glamour basically makes you invisible. But since you can see through the common glamour, maybe this person’s glamour was more powerful, and so you could only perceive bits of him?”

“Hmmm...that’s possible. Wait. Wasn’t I supposed to be the one asking questions?” Aarushi demanded, narrowing her eyes. 

Will chuckled, “Yes, go ahead. What would you like to know? I’m not sure if i can tell you everything, though. After all, you’re human. You aren’t supposed to know these things. But then again, you’ve already seen a lot you shouldn’t have, so I guess it won’t hurt anyone.” Will reasoned with himself.

“You said you’ve been hunting Markus. Why are you doing that?”

“Well, it’s my job. I work for the Nephilim Council. Umm...think of me as a...policeman?”

“And the Nephilim Council is what...the law?”

Will nodded. “It’s the law and the government. Our job is to keep the magical and supernatural folks in check and to punish them if they aren’t.”

Aarushi nodded thoughtfully, digesting everything.

“You said you’ve been chasing Markus for years?” Aarushi raised an eyebrow skeptically. He seemed to be only a couple of years older than her. What did he mean by years?

“Ten, to be exact. And I haven't gotten any closer to discovering what he is up to. Until today.” He admitted. 

Ten years? Ten years? He barely looked to be in his mid-twenties, how could he have been hunting Markus for ten years?

“But that’s impossible! You’re too young to have been after him for ten years!” Aarushi exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the absurdity of it all.