t w o

Thursday

Jonah and I walked out of our last class of the day, History, and headed towards our lockers which were conveniently only a few spaces apart. "Hey, what are you doing tonight?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Probably just homework. It's my parent's date night and I think Chris is out with Corbyn. Why?"

"Do you want to go for frozen yogurt?"

A smile formed at the thought of it. "Hell yeah."

I chucked my books into my locker, grabbing only my science textbook and the biology homework I was supposed to do. I found myself smiling again at the few photos I'd taped to my locker door. Jonah giving me a piggyback, one of Chris, Corbyn, Jack and I, a picture of me dancing and a couple photos of Daniel and I.

I slammed my locker shut and hiked my bag onto my shoulder. Jonah was already waiting for me so I hurried over to him through the crowd, finding it easy to locate him since he was so tall.

Jonah pulled me easily through the throng of students and out into the parking lot. "How was everything today?" he asked as we got into his car.

I shrugged, connecting to his bluetooth. "It was okay, I guess. Gym sucked because some girl told me I was showing off when we were stretching. Not my fault you can't touch your toes," I huffed, scrolling through my Spotify.

"Some people are idiots."

I hummed in response, finally settling on Khalid as we pulled out.

***

Saturday Nights was still stuck in my head as we walked into the small frozen yogurt shop in the mall. I hummed quietly as I surveyed the flavours even though I knew I'd be getting the same thing I always did.

Jonah ordered a different thing every time, insisting that one day he'd finally taste every single yogurt. He got their new birthday cake flavour and I wrinkled my nose.

I ordered my yogurt and we headed to one of the front booths looking out into the rest of the mall.

"Oh stop making that face," Jonah pouted. "Birthday cake isn't that bad."

I grimaced, poking at my cup with my spoon.

"You sure you don't want some?" Jonah teased, holding his spoon in front of my face.

I lurched back. "Get that thing away from me."

Jonah only chuckled and made a big show of licking off his spoon, letting out an overdramatic sigh of appreciation. "Yum."

"You, sir, disgust me."

"Oh don't be like that, Martinez." He rolled his eyes.

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so now we're whipping out last names, are we, Frantzich?"

"Yup." With that, Jonah dumped a spoonful of birthday cake nastiness into my bowl.

I shrieked. "Jonah Marais Roth Frantzich, how could you? The utter betrayal."

"What'd he do this time?" Christina asked from behind me. Corbyn, Jack and Daniel stood behind her, all looking somewhat confused.

I sent Jonah a dirty look. "This traitor contaminated my yogurt with birthday cake."

Daniel slid onto the bench next to me and picked up my bowl. He scooped out the contamination and popped it into his mouth. "Better?"

I nodded, gladly taking back my cup. "Much. Thank you for coming to my rescue."

"Anything for you," he flirted, making me blush.

"My saviour."

Corbina, Jack and Daniel all went up to the front to order, leaving me alone with Jonah again. I frowned as I saw him looking a little put out. I reached across the table and rested my hand on his arm. "You okay?"

He huffed a sigh. "I know it's stupid but I really wanted to just hang out with you. I feel like we never hang out, just us anymore. Not saying I don't like the others I just-"

I nodded. "I get that. Sometimes it's exhausting hanging out with so many people at once. What if we got McDonald's for dinner and then just watched some movies later?"

He perked up slightly at that. "Sounds good."

The others came back shortly and squished into our booth, Daniel and Jack squishing onto my side and Corbina sitting on the other side with Jonah. It was squishy but we made it work, one of my legs over Daniel's, Chris sitting on Corbyn's lap.

Daniel and I ended up basically just sharing our yogurts, swapping cups every couple minutes. He wrapped an arm around me, teasingly telling me we might just have to pull a Corbina if Jack didn't stop scooting closer to us.

"Hey, it's not my fault I'm falling off," Jack whined. "I only have half a buttcheek on this tiny little bench."

"On second thought, Vic, I can't do movies tonight," Jonah said, not looking at me. "I have to watch Svea."

My face dropped. "Um, we could do it at your house if you wanted."

He shook his head. "No and actually, I gotta get going. Sorry."

He scooted out of the booth once Corbyn and Chris stood up to let him out, throwing out his cup and walking out.

My mouth dropped open as I watched him. Did he really just not want to spend time with me after all?

Daniel saw the look on my face and squeezed me tighter. "I don't know what that was but I can come over and watch movies with you if you want."

Jack nodded. "I can come too but if you just want to hang with Daniel I don't have to."

I shook my head. "That would be great if you both came. Thanks, guys."

"We were just going to hang out at my place but I'd be totally down to watch movies at yours if you wanted," Corbyn said, Chris nodding on his lap.

I nodded. "Yeah." I glanced in the direction Jonah disappeared.

Daniel pulled me firmly into him. "I don't know what's up with Jonah but don't worry about him tonight. Tonight is strictly fun."

"I have first period with him tomorrow," Jack supplied. "I'll talk to him then."

I forced a smile onto my face, feeling slightly better already.

***

Can't tell if I liked that chapter or not but it's not horrible. Let me know what you guys think of this story so far :)

wc: 1044