xiv.

Exactly a week after Halloween, on a Friday no less, Harry has a chemistry midterm. And thanks to the lovely Mr. Trey, chemistry is one of the few subjects Harry has to study for properly, in this case until he literally cries blood. He had to pull an almost all-nighter to learn everything and he walks into class with dark circles under his eyes, still uncertain that he knows everything he should for the test. If he doesn't get an A, he's literally going to have Mr. Trey kidnapped and sent to some remote location for the rest of his life.

Zayn's already sitting behind their desk, serenely sipping Starbucks while he's looking at something on his laptop. He doesn't even look that tired. Or terrified for his life.

"Did you sacrifice a virgin last night or do you have a really good concealer and undereye mask?" Harry says as a greeting as he falls into his chair and slaps his laptop down on the desk.

"Neither? What's going on?" Zayn asks with furrowed brows.

"Um, the midterm? Like have you forgotten or you didn't study? Why do you look like you had a good night's sleep?"

Zayn starts laughing which Harry considers pretty fucking rude considering he's in a lot of pain. Mostly emotional but his head hurts too. He's probably close to a heart attack after the coffee he had in the morning and the Redbull he had an hour ago.

"Harry, how long did you study for? You look like you've died a week ago."

"Maybe six hours, I don't know. You?"

"Two hours tops," Zayn shrugs.

"I'm going to murder you," Harry announces and opens the file with his notes, hoping that magically he's gonna read just the things that will be on the test and his brain will then serve the information to him on a silver platter.

The midterm turns out to be quite manageable. It's not the worst test of Mr. Trey's that Harry's taken. Or maybe it was totally terrible but Harry's sleep deficiency and possible caffeine overdose tricked him into thinking he did kind of well on it. It's either one of those.

"How'd you do? Was the studying worth it?" Zayn asks him as they pack their things up.

"I guess it was okay. And yeah it was, because if I had studied any less, I know I would've failed it."

"Harry that's bullshit and you know it. You're smart and a chemistry midterm isn't learning Chinese overnight. I'm sure you did well."

"Okay wow, stop jerking off my ego."

They both start laughing as they leave the Classroom of Doom, both of them walking straight for the door. There's nothing like leaving school on Friday, especially after such a terrible class.

"Where are you going?" Zayn asks him once they're outside.

"To Oleander, I'm having lunch with Sebastian. You?"

"I'm headed that way too. I'm having lunch with mom."

"Great, we can walk together," Harry flashes Zayn a smile as they cross the road. "How is she, by the way? I haven't seen her in a long time."

"She's good, I guess. She asked about you a few days ago actually. Saw you and Sebastian at Eleven in Madison Park but she didn't wanna just come up and talk to you because you were on a date."

"Oh, she should've!" Harry blurts out. "It's not like she would've joined us or something. She could've said hi."

"Well, I'll let her know she can do that next time she sees you," Zayn laughs.

"I need to tell my mom to invite you all for dinner soon. We all need to catch up."

"Yeah, I guess we do," Zayn sighs.