Chapter 14

Swiping her finger across the phone screen, she watched the picture slide away and replaced by another. She clutched the phone tightly in her left hand as he green eyes examined the picture—a picture of her and Kayden in front of Almond's Coffee Shop last summer.

Why did Kayden talk to her that way? Why was she supposed to stay away from Xavier? Why was Xavier acting so strange the other day?

As quick as the questions came, the smile on her thin pink lips dissolved. She rested her head on the headboard behind her, wondering why Kayden had behaved in such a manner yesterday. Her green eyes scanned the quiet room and stopped on the swaying pink translucent curtains. She rose to her feet, phone in hand and pulled the curtain apart.

"That's why you need to stay away from him goddammit!" he had shouted on her yesterday in the cemetery. She needed to stop remembering that god-awful statement. She set her phone on the window sill, staring at the driveway.

Each time she looked the driveway, she could remember Xavier's white car or the look on his face when they were in the car—unfamiliar. She had texted him but he never replied even though she knew he had seen it. What she wanted to understand was why the sudden rift between Kayden and Xavier.

"Gwen!" Lulu called, interrupting her from her thought. Luckily, the thoughts that had clouded her head dispersed like the wind and ashes. Her hands trembled as she picked her phone off the window will and rushed downstairs.

"Yes Lulu," her voice trembled the moment she got to the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm in the kitchen, darling," Lulu replied. Gwen shook her head, taking the open doorway on the left. She saw Lulu setting a cup on the table but what caught her attention was the young lady in her mid-thirties— tanned, brown cropped hair, lean stature.

"Bree?" her voice quivered. The lady got up the chair, advancing towards her. She looked at Lulu, silently demanding an answer but she got none. "Lulu? Why is Breanna here?"

Lulu turned off the stove behind her and took a seat by the dining. She sighed and patted the next chair by her side. Gwen stared at Bree, looked back at Lulu before sitting. Lulu turned towards Bree who gave a small smile and a nod. "You gave me no other option Gwen. I've heard you either scream or cry in your room these last few days. I was worried and I called Bree..."

She knows it's the dreams, Gwen thought and smiled at her grand mum. "...I know you'd want to look strong because of me, grandpop and Riley but you needn't to." Lulu caressed Gwen's left cheek, the sadness she had seen multiple times in her eyes. Gwen gulped and nodded in Lulu's hand.

Breanna looked at Gwen from the other side of the kitchen in her violet off shoulder gown. She pushed herself off the edge of counter, balancing both feet on the floor. "Shall we?"

Gwen nodded and Lulu walked out of the kitchen.

*****

Xavier stood on his front porch, hands in the pockets of his shorts. He could feel her around him but she spoke once in a while—unfortunately, she wasn't close at the moment. He stared at his bare feet on the hardwood floors.

He twirled his phone in his hand contemplating whether to reply to Gwen's messages or not. He sighed and made his way back into the house. He plopped down on the leather couch and wished telling Gwen will ease the tension he had created. If he did it, it'll damage things further between him and Kayden and if he didn't, Gwen would be hurt.

"What hurts, little one? Why is your heart troubled?" Ivona asked, a small breeze surrounded Xavier.

"Everything!" he reply in exhaustion, placing his head on his thighs. "My mum and now, Gwen and Kayden. Why must it be hard?"