Power Surge

Marigold walked down the hallways of her school, holding her books over her chest in a protective manner as she watching for her friend Ginger. She had full confidence in The Professors abilities, and she was sure that her friends memories of that night were replaced just like all the others. But Marigold's memories weren't gone. She could still vision her friends shocked, and slightly scared face as she learned the truth about The Xavier Institute. Marigold couldn't help but wonder how her being a mutant would affect her friendships at school if people knew. Some of the people who worked at the Facility when she was younger had called her a freak instead of her number or given name, "Hey four - eyed freak!" Mike called out as he walked by the girl in the hallway, his friends laughing around him. Marigold pushed her glasses up her nose, not responding to the bully. "Turns out that I'm a freak either way." She said under her breath as she opened her locker, pushing some books in and taking others out. Minutes later she was walking into her homeroom and she stopped in her tracks when she saw Ginger and Sandy talking to each other. Sandy was showing off her bright green beads that were decorating her hair, and Ginger was smiling and waving for Marigold to come join them. Marigold was able to push the ball of nerves down that was bubbling up in her chest as she walked over, slight confusion showing on her face. "Hey, what are you doing here Ginger?" She asked, slightly happy that she was able to sound somewhat normal. "My sister dropped me off early today, and I had a few extra minutes before class started. Sense I don't have any friends in my homeroom I came over here...but I better get going before the bell rings." She said picking up her stuff. She walked by Sandy and Marigold, no lingering stares or looks of fear in her eyes as she passed Marigold. The girl found herself sighing with relief. Honestly, why had she gotten so worked up in the first place? "Nice beads, loser. Not getting enough attention already?" Mike asked as he walked by Sandy and Marigold, Sandy smirked and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "You wouldn't know fashion if it smacked you in the face Micheal." She said sitting down in her seat as the teacher walked in, Marigold sat down as well and Mike frowned as he took his seat a few rows in front of the two girls. Class started, and Marigold let the last of her worries roll off her shoulders as she focused on the teacher.

-Xavier Institute-

"I'm sure the glue will work wonders! It will be like I never broke it." Jean said as Marigold looked over the drying trophy that was sitting on Jeans shelf in her room. Jean had apparently dropped the trophy at school today and broke it, and had enlisted the youngest X-men to help her fix it. "It's amazing that you got voted MVP player by all your teammates. Everyone must really like you at your school." Marigold said turning to Jean, who was getting dressed to go to a party. "I'm not so sure about that, but I love my soccer team. It's good to know that they love me too. How are things going with your practice?" Jean asked as she brushed her hair in the mirror. "It-it's good. I actually really like the french horn." The girl said blushing and pushing up her glasses. "I would love to hear you play sometime." Jean said turning to face Marigold, who's cheeks were turning redder by the second. "She wouldn't think that if she heard me practicing earlier today." Marigold thought to herself. "Oh don't be like that. I bet your wonderful." Jean said. Marigold shrugged her shoulders, watching Jean as she got ready. Did Jean read her mind without knowing it? Or maybe it was an accident. Jean didn't say anything else about it and Marigold let it go. Obviously she hadn't meant to get inside her head, so Marigold could let it go for now. Everyone lost control of their powers from time to time, even the perfect Jean. Marigold really looked up to Jean. She was popular, good at soccer, and school. She was like the perfect person. I bet no one ever called Jean a freak at school. "I better get going, don't wait up for me okay!" Jean said as she ran out of her room. Marigold showed herself out and was headed to her own room when Kitty phased through the wall. "Hey, like do you know how to get rid of this stink bomb aroma?" She asked Marigold. The girl tilted her head in confusion, until she smelled Kitty. "Oh man, what happened to you?!" The girl asked covering her nose. "Like, it wasn't me! Our new Chemistry teacher, Mr.McCoy, is totally awesome, but his stink bombs aren't." Kitty said, looking pretty pitiful. Scott ran by us, looking like he was in a hurry. "Hey Scott! Do you have a remedy for stink bomb?" Kitty asked. Scott stopped for a second and sniffed the air before making a discussed face. "Yea, isolation." He said with a smirk before running off. "Why is he in such a hurry?" Kitty asked. "He is going with Jean to that party." Marigold said with a smile. "Ohhh, I bet he is...I won't be going to any parties until I can stop smelling like Toad." Kitty said with a frown. "I bet Ororo has something that can help, let's go ask her." Marigold suggested. The two girls ran off down the hallway in search for Ororo, Marigold staying a few steps away from Kitty so she couldn't smell her. "What kind of Party are Jean and Scott going to anyway?" Marigold asked. "I hadn't heard of it. So it's probably just for the popular upper class-man...I heard Rogue was going with one of her friends too." Kitty said. "I didn't know Scott and Rogue were popular at school too." Marigold said. "They aren't really - not like Jean anyway. I bet Jean invited Scott though." Marigold nodded in understanding. "Are you popular?" Marigold asked Kitty. The teen rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't say I'm like super popular like Jean, but I do pretty well for myself. What about you?" Kitty asked. "Oh uh, no. I'm not really popular. Unless you consider being called a freak and four eyes everyday 'popular'." Marigold admitted. "That totally sucks, who's saying that about you?" Kitty asked, sounding serious. "Just a few of the guys in our class. It's not a big deal." Marigold said. "It is if your being bullied. Why haven't you told anyone?" Kitty asked. "I did! I told Ororo and The Professor...I just didn't say how much." Kitty frowned, "As long as it doesn't bother you. And if it gets any worse you should tell someone...you know your not a freak right?" Kitty asked the girl. "Y-yea. It's just those guys being jerks." Marigold said. "Exactly. And if you are a freak, then I'm right there with you. Your in a mansion full of freaks." Kitty said with a giggle. Marigold smiled, "Yea, I guess so." A crashing sound could be heard from down the hallway and Kitty rolled her eyes. "I bet that's one of the new students breaking something again. Let's go check it out." Kitty said before the two girls raced down the hallway.