Impact

-Xavier Institute-

Azalea walked through the school hallways with a stack of documents in her hands. It was everything that S.H.I.E.L.D had on all the kids that were experimented on at the facility and other places. Many of the kids had been found dead, but not all of them. And that was something that Marigold held onto as she walked into the room that held Cerebro. The Professor was using it to try and find any trace of Apocalypse. Charles and Beast seemed to be talking about something called the Eye of Ages, but stopped when they heard the tiny footsteps behind them. "Hello Marigold, how is your research going?" Beast asked, clearly trying to change the topic so the girl wouldn't ask about the whole 'Apocalypse' situation. Marigold gave an exasperated look to the Professor and he shrugged his shoulders, wordlessly telling the girl to not push. "I've checked every news report of every child who was found without any documents and orphan with mutations. But I haven't found anything connecting the kids in these documents." Marigold said, holding up the papers in her hands. "So far, everything has been a dead end." She frowned as the Professor rolled over to her and pulled the girl into his arms. "I wish we could be more helpful to you this time, but we are busy with trying to stop EN Sabah Nur." Marigold shook her head. "That's important. Honestly trying to find some of the other kids from the facility is a good distraction from Apocalypse." The girl admitted. "By the way, how are the other students faring under this pressure?" Beast asked. "Oh, you know kids...they always find ways to blow off steam." The Professor said with a smirk. "Why don't you go join them outside Marigold. It might do your mind good to take a break and get fresh air." Marigold didn't like the idea of pausing her research, but she knew Logan was outside. "Okay, but only for a bit." She said before leaving Beast and the Professor to continue their work. As she started to make her way outside, she stopped by her bedroom to drop off the documents in her arms. As she sat the papers down she paused when she saw number 24's picture fall onto the floor. She bent down and picked it up, some unfamiliar feeling flaring up in her chest as she looked at the boy in a white latex suit much like hers. his blue eyes and black hair looking back into her matching once. Marigold sighed and put the picture back, unsure of what it all meant. But determined to find out.  

-Outside-

The New Mutants goof off outside playing basketball. Logan finds Rouge outside and tries to talk to her about everything that's happened. He tells her that none of it was her fault. Rogue shrugs it off, but she's really upset about the now stone Mystique being in the Institute.

Logan tells her that Xavier has tried everything possible, but that there's nothing he can do for Mystique, she's nothing but solid stone now. So, knowing how much it bothered Rogue to have her around, he gave her to The Brotherhood. Rogue is momentarily shocked but then says good riddance and stalks off. Logan watches her walk away, speechless. "What's got you looking so shocked?" Marigold asked, walking up to Logan as he sat down on a bench in shock. The man sighed and opened his arms, letting the girl fall into his chest. "Rogue, she hasn't been herself since the whole Mystique thing." He said, burying his nose into the girl's hair. "Are you smelling me again?" she asked with a grin. "Yep." He said, popping the 'p' Marigold didn't complain as the two watched the New Mutants playing around in the yard. "Life has been so crazy. You get taken away by Mysterio, we get you back and lose Rogue right after, then this whole apocalypse thing..." Logan lamented. "We will be okay. We always are." Marigold said, looking up at Logan. "What made you so optimistic all of a sudden?" Logan asked. "I'm not sure...maybe seeing Laura again after so long. Even if she was attacking the institute. I thought everyone who was stuck in the institute like me were all dead. After what happened to number 24, and the facility blowing up...I think the idea of any of the other kids being alive and out there gives me hope. Do you think Laura will come back soon?" Marigold asked Logan with hope. "I'm not sure, but it's going to be on her own time. That's all I know for sure." Marigold nodded. "Until then, we got each other." The girl said hugging Logan again. "We do...I really missed you." Marigold smirked. "You said that like one thousand times since you last saw me." Logan smirked back. "And it won't stop being true."

-Inside the Institute-

Back at the institute, Kurt tracks down Rogue to talk to her about Mystique. He's outraged that Xavier has given their mother to the Brotherhood. Rogue doesn't care and tries to get away. He ports in front of her again saying that Mystique belongs at the Institute with them. Rogue gets mad and asks why he even cares. She starts to walk away. Kurt tells her that it just made him feel better and ports away to the Brotherhood house.

-Brotherhood House-

Toad and Blob are still dragging around the stone Mystique. Wanda calls them "immature clods" and tells them the least they could do would be to take her to see Agatha Harkness, that she might be able to help her. They ignore her though and continue making plans to turn Mystique into a fountain. As soon as they leave Mystique alone Kurt sneaks up to grab her. Wanda catches him, but before she can hex him he tells her that Mystique is his mother. Wanda turns and walks away. Kurt ports Mystique out of the house.

-Institute-

At Xavier's; Rogue catches Kurt with the stone Mystique in his room. She is furious that he brought her back and tells him that if he doesn't get rid of her she will. Kurt tries to calm her down. He tells her that Mystique's anger and hatred destroyed her, and if Rogue keeps going the way she is it will destroy her as well. Rogue storms out of the room saying that it's already destroyed her. Kurt turns around to find the stone Mystique crying.

Down in the labs Xavier and Beast do tests on the stone, but Beast tells Kurt that what he saw wasn't really tears, it was probably just condensation. Kurt refuses to give up even after Xavier tells him that there's no hope for Mystique. He ports away just as Jean and Marigold show up to tell them that they've found Apocalypse. "There's a huge dome of energy enveloping the oldest of the Mayan pyramids...it's all over the news. It has to be him right?" Marigold asked. "The X-men will find out. Tell the others to suit up and get to the X-jet." Xavier says. "Who do you want us to get?" Jean asked. "Scott, Kitty, Logan, and the four of us will do." The Professor said, "What about Kurt, or Storm, or Rogue, or any of the New Mutants?" Marigold asked. "This is a fact finding mission only. As evident by our last battle, we are in no condition to fight Apocalypse...as for Kurt, he needs time to process what has happened with Mystique. Both he and Rogue will stay behind."

-Mexico-

At Apocalypse's pyramid, the X-Men try to run tests on the energy dome, but everything they try literally blows up in their faces. Xavier and Jean are blocked from scanning it telepathically as well. "Like, I can't even phase through this thing! What are we supposed to do to break it down?" Kitty asked. Xavier warns the X-Men that they must avoid any act of aggression, just then Jean points to Magneto's sphere, which comes hurtling towards the pyramid. "You mean like that?" Marigold asks with sarcasm. It flies above the dome and as it slows in its upward climb, Magneto emerges. He forms the sphere into a bullet shape and hurls it at the dome. When the sphere shatters he starts to pull tanks, jeeps, anything that he can reach to throw at it. When none of that works either, he starts to drag satellites out of orbit. They begin to break up on reentry and catch on fire. What's left of them plunge past him as massive fireballs, but even they fail to damage the dome in any way. Apocalypse emerges from the top of the dome just in time to divert the final satellite back towards Magneto. Magneto is able to dodge it just in time, but Apocalypse uses his powers to jerk Magneto about. Magneto screams as he's flung about powerless. Bands of colors and static form, then close about him until he seemingly implodes. Then there's nothing. The X-Men are shocked and watch speechless as Apocalypse slowly descends back into the dome, sparing Xavier one disdained look on the way. "Did...did Magneto just die?" Scott asked, looking as shocked as the rest of the group. "It's...impossible to tell. But it doesn't look good." The Professor said, looking deeply upset. Marigold looked at the dome in shock. Even though Magneto had only been a negative influence in her life, she didn't feel any joy from his sudden...end. The hope that she had been feeling so strongly before was getting weaker and weaker, the stronger Apocalypse got.