Her Day Off, Pt. 2

“I don’t know why I even listen to you anymore, seriously,” Jia said- actually yelled from the other side of the counter, making every single costumer look at her surprised. Feeling her cheeks go red and lowering her head, she made her way to the staff room, with the phone still glued to her ear. “Every time I try to help you with something is the same; you never see the good in it, only the bad.”

“Yeah, thanks unnie, but at least I think twice before giving my friend’s number to a complete stranger!” Kim replied, sounding angrier with her friend than she had ever been. “For all we know, the guy could be a murderer or something equally bad. Next time, please, don’t do that without asking first.”

Kim could see her friend almost rolling her eyes and sighing at the ridiculousness of what she had just said. After a hungry stomach woke her up from her nap, she decided to call Jia and question her about the whole thing. She said that it was Wonshik who had asked about her first, and she offered to give him Kim’s number to contact her if he wanted to, and he gladly agreed. It’s not like Kim didn’t know the guy; what actually bothered her was the fact that Jia didn’t even ask her about it. She tried to get her point across, but for some reason her friend always thought she was scolding her.

“Anyways,” Jia continued after a moment, “has he called or anything yet? He seemed happy to get your number,” the teasing tone in her voice made Kim cringe a little bit, but she told herself that Jia was just… being Jia.

“No, I don’t even know if he will,” she felt more disappointed than angry, much to her surprise. She thought about it for a short moment, and wondered if it wouldn’t be for the best if he actually texted or something. “I kind of want him to, I guess. I’d like to know at least a bit more about him, you know? He seems mysterious for some reason, and my head doesn’t help very much. You know I’ve always been interested by people like him.”

Jia chuckled and stopped when the sound of the door suddenly opening followed by a male voice interrupted her. It was their boss, telling her to get back to work immediately. “Kimmie, I have to go. Hyunwoo-ssi doesn’t seem very happy today. Let me know if something happens, okay?”

“Sure, I’ll tell you as soon as possible, now go and do your work,” without expecting a reply she hung up, and sure enough minutes later she got a text from her friend.

How rude of you to hang up on your elders >.< Anyways, remember to text if anything happens! X’

This time it was her turn to roll her eyes. Not bothering to reply as she knew Jia’s phone was probably in her locker by then, she walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge, to see that she had not much. Writing a note reminding herself to do some grocery shopping and seeing that it was almost 8pm, she looked to the outside of the fridge looking for the number of her favourite delivery place; she thought they had one of the most delicious chicken dishes she had ever eaten.

She sat on the couch trying to find something good on TV was hard, but it wouldn’t be long until her phone rang again, and she sighed as she checked the screen and her eyes opened wide quickly when she saw it was a text from an unknown number. Could it be…, she thought, and with her heart beating a little bit faster she took her time opening it.

Hey, I’m Wonshik, your friend gave me your number today, and I hope you don’t mind. I went to the coffee shop today but didn’t see you, was it your free day or something?

She smiled, thinking that the fact that he asked about her was something good for her, something really good. She sat there for a moment, trying to find the way to reply with the right mix between her actual curiosity and some kind of playfulness. When she couldn’t come up with anything original, she decided to just reply.