Chapter 10

Time went on, as it often did – but the novelty of this life was that things changed, shifted, happened. Nalia continued to teach Kula to speak. After a while, she became a quick study. She soon could speak fairly fluently, although her words and phrases were simple and a little childish.

Kula liked Nalia. She was her closest friend – not that that was saying much, because most of the castle staff avoided her. Nalia was quick, intelligent, feisty, and friendly – but even Kula could tell that she had a tongue too sharp for her own good. One day, she would say something that would get her in trouble, and everyone knew it.

Brendan, on the other hand, remained a mystery. He would stare at her, dark eyes revealing nothing. He rarely smiled. He seemed so different from his fun, excitable sister. He would occasionally snort at the sight of Kula trying to speak, but he never tried to talk to her.

"Kula!"

Nalia's voice broke her thoughts. Kula turned with a smile on her face. Nalia was usually being taught mathematics during this time, so this was a welcome surprise.

"What? Is it okay?"

"I think you mean is 'everything' okay," corrected Nalia.

"Is everything okay?" Kula repeated.

Nalia's face was grim. "I'm afraid that the princess is sick..."

Kula blinked, confused. "But... you are the... what?"

"...of being tutored. I snuck out while that idiot was droning on about figures. Really, I was about to fall asleep. That might mess up my hair." Her eyes sparkled. 

"Nalia, I don't think... never mind." Kula sometimes worried for her friend – she was fiercely clever, but she did poorly in her studies because of her lack of focus.

"So," Nalia continued, "I snuck out. Now what?"

"Now... you go back to class and apolo... apologife?"

"Apologize. With a z sound."

"Apologize" Kula repeated.

"And no, I most certainly do not! What do you take me for? Let's go down to the sea."

Kula wanted to protest. She wanted to shove Nalia back into her class, and yet she did not want to do any of that. She wanted to spend a day with her friend, despite the whisper in the back of her head.

Besides, Kula really did want to see the ocean.

A few moments later, the girls stood hand in hand on the shore, changed into simpler shirts and men's pants. Kula looked at her old home, a small smile on her face.

Nalia looked at her sadly. "Are you ever going to tell me where you came from?"

Kula sighed. "Nalia, I don't think you'd believe me. I don't mean that sarcasm..."

"Sarcastically," Nalia corrected.

"I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean I don't think you'd believe me. I don't want you to think I'm crazy."

Nalia grabbed her hand. "Kula, that's stupid. I would never think of you as crazy, I promise. Honestly, you're a lot saner than me, in a way. Don't you trust me?"

"I do, I do. And that's why I can't tell you." The thought of losing her only friend terrified Kula. She adored Nalia, and it would be heartbreaking to lose her.

"...Okay. I trust you. If you don't want to tell me, there must be a good reason."

For a moment, they just stood there. A smile traced Kula's lips, because she knew that her friend wouldn't press the point. Nalia was blunt and honest, to a fault in some ways. If Kula didn't want to tell her, then she wouldn't make her, for now. Simple as that.

Still, Nalia's bluntness worked both ways. She believed that people should say what they meant. So, even if she didn't ask, Kula knew that it would bother Nalia until she was told.

Kula's thoughts were interrupted when Nalia gave her a look. Quickly, the dark haired girl took off, racing across the sand. She reached the sea, her smile flashing brighter than the sun. Kula watched, laughing. She relished the feeling of being two girls, away from the aristocracy and pomp of the palace. It was all so beautiful up there – the shining spires and colors and music – but she loved to just be herself with her friend.

As Nalia swam, Kula's thoughts returned to Brendan. What would he say if he saw them like this? Would he smile? She wondered what he looked like when he smiled.

More likely, he'd scowl and mutter something about girls under his breath. Still... she somehow hoped that he'd be happy to see them.

Kula was once again jolted from her thoughts. This time, it was by cold water, as Nalia scooped her up and threw her into the sea. Her clothes were soaked, but her mind was clear. She hadn't swum since she'd left Ocean forever, but she remembered how to do it perfectly.

Still, Nalia didn't need to know that just yet.

Kula's eyes widened as she pretended to struggle to stay afloat. She opened her mouth to scream before she tossed herself under the waves. She could vaguely hear Nalia screaming her name. This was fun. How many times had Nalia tricked her, pranked her, fooled her? She could be just like her now.

Kula had held her breath for years. She could do it now. She swam a little deeper, and then out, out. She put her mouth just barely above the waves to grab a quick gulp of air before diving back in. She smiled to herself under the water.

She felt herself being pulled above the waves. She immediately went as limp as she could, and let Nalia pull her back to shore.

"No, no no no, Kula please..." Nalia sounded like she was close to tears. Kula lost it.

She started to giggle, eyes opening. Quickly, she was bent over with laughter, with tears in her eyes.

Nalia stood up, furious. "What the hell were you thinking?"

Her laughter died in her throat. "What? It was a joke."

Nalia sighed, eyes losing a little of their fire. "Kula, I get that you're new to this place, and that's okay. But... you cannot, under any circumstances, try to make someone believe that you're dead. It's not funny. You terrified me."

"I'm... I'm sorry..." Kula suddenly found herself fighting back tears. Never had Nalia been this angry. It stung more than any wound. She hated the feeling. It reminded her of her first few moments as a human – raw, exposed, vulnerable. Afraid. 

Nalia seemed to see that Kula was upset. "Hey, no, it's okay. I'm not that mad. I just got scared, okay? Calm down... please don't start crying, I don't want to have to deal with a crying person..."

Kula didn't start crying. She hugged Nalia, and then asked to go back home. They walked back, clutching each other against the sudden chill in the air. Kula never forgot her lesson that day: Death was not something to take lightly.