Chapter 9-Just Lies

"The CDC is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Contact Center. It is your single source for accurate, timely, consistent, and science-based information on a wide variety of disease prevention and health promotion topics"

Atleast, that's  what the CDC use to be. It's  just filled up with fhe dead now. "THOSE DAMN LIARS!" I pound my fist on the dashboard, then curking my hand to my chest in pain.

"I knew they were hiding something.  I just knew it  How can we be so stupid to believe  they were communicating?" I rub my forehead  in frustration. 

A hand is placed on my shoulders.  "They could have killed us..." How can Luke be so absent-minded?

I give him one of those 'are you stupid' looks.  "You always make a damn excuse don't  you?" Luke proceeds  to drive down the road. 

"What if we didn't  go.  You're  a girl.  They could have done  something to you and Clem-"

"But they didn't. If anything, we could have defended  outselves." Luke chuckles. "What's  so funny? We can't.  Is it because  we're  girls?" I shake my head.  So now that the world got tougher women can't? 

"You're  unbelievable Luke so damn-"

"Guys stop!"Clem yells. I look at luke one last time. "Where do we go from here guys?" I was about to say the house we stayed at before we got here.  Too bad that is all the way back.   There were too many houses we stayed at. We made it to Georga in a few dags because well one, hiding from walkers and people, and two, gasoline and supplies.  We began to run out of everything in our bags.  I mean unless we want to eat clothes...

I stare at Clem  thinking  of what to do.  I sigh in defeat.  "I think we need to find somewhere safe, stay there and gather supplies for a bit." The clock in the car reads 11:45 am. Still early.

"I say we get as far as possible  from the city.  Maybe savage  for a cabin or near a campground." I laugh.  "We have no map.  We just have to drive to some house by the woods, gather supplies and just...live."

Live.  Live meams breathing, eating, starting a family, having a happy life. What i would give to live.  Raise my own and just dream. Luke drives us off making random turns.

~

Time flies in this new life. You get side tracked alot because you're  constantly  repeating  the same actions.  Scavaging and surviving.   No matter how much you have with you, it will not last forever.  When i was alone, i ate one can a day.  It was hard and it never will gef easier. 

Two hours decide to pass over us as we find a decent 1 floor house a mile or two near a small town.  It's  blue with white panels  on the side of the windows.  The American dream was to own a house. Now, all you habe to do is clear it out yourself, build defence  and there you have it. No down payments, no bills, no insurance. That's  the bright side. On the down side, the list goes on forever. 

"You two know the drill....Man, maybe we can be here for a while." This time, Luke doesn't  look at me. I know he's  upset at me.  The hours and days we've  been spending together were just arguing.  Poor Clem had to hear us and told us to shut up a few times. 

Clem runs to my side with her weapon ready.  She's  such a brave little girl.  Little girl? I need to stop calling her that because she is not a little girl.  She's  a grown women trapped in a girls body. 

Heading in behind Clem, we silence ourselves.  Each foot step leads us closer to death by one of the walkers. 

Without knowledge, two cold hands grab my shoulders. In quick reaction, i run backwards,  slamming his head into the wall.  Just to make sure, i stomp on him.  I do this all with anger.  Whay they've  done.  I don't  stop until till Clem place her hand on my arm.

"Are you okay? " She mouths. Whiling my sweat,   I nod yes but really, Im not. It's  one of those lies you say to make someone else feel better but only makes yourseld feel worse.  It's  like all bricks are building and stacking inside of me and sooner or later, they're  going to break.   

Although, I am thankful for Luke and Clem to be here with me. To leave their group and see a different perspective.  I bite my lip.  I need to apologize  to Luke.   I've  been giving  him a hard time and no credit.

~

We clean the house from its remains and place our belongings  in.  "Luke, i think we have a few hours before it gets  to be dangerous. We can drive to that town-"

"We can't  leave Clem."

I raise an eye brow. "I never said to leave her Luke." He looks up at me with shy eyes. 

"Clem, can you get in the car for a minute? I need to talk to Amia." Luke demands.  With no question, Clem obeys. 

"Luke, before you say anything-"

"No i need to say sorry first because i know I've  been sort of a douche" He gives a smirk which causes me to give one too.  "You're  not. I want to say sorry too. It's  just, since everything happened..." I chuckle. "I stopped believing  in hope. This isn't  living, it's  surviving Luke. And you've  helped me." I smile at him before I embrace him.  I plant a kiss on his cheek. I like Luke. But more of a brother. I would never think of him of anything  else.  Besides, getting too close with someone is dangerous and it's  best for me not to

With that, I walk to the door.

"Come on Luke.  We can't  be wasting time."

~

We quietly reach town, running over walkers as we go. "We go in and out.  We have about an hour left before these things turn worse."I plunge the door open desperate  to find something to feed my stomach.

As soon as I do so, multiple gun cocks go off.

"Don't  move."

Sorry for spelling errors