5. Disaster

(POV: Plug)

"No!" Shouted Grunt. "No no no no no, this can't be happening." He put his hands to his head and floated closer to the ground in distress. Poor Grunt, I thought to myself whilst I watched him, trying to conquer my own fears about what was to come. I checked the boo canister again. Still empty.

"Don't panic!" Said Rob, only slightly unnerved by this situation. He looked around for an explanation for why it was empty, but he could not come to any conclusions. In awe, I still just watched as things went on around me, unable to take part in anything which could make any change.

And that's when I noticed it again. Those pools of emptiness. I moved back a bit without saying a word. Grunt's eyes were empty. I tried to alert Rob, but the words just couldn't come from my mouth. Whilst I wasn't able to talk, I knew that only I could fix the issue and do what I had to-

Grunt was stunned. The electricity which pulsed through me every moment of the day was still too much for Grunt because a single whip of my tail had the same effect. And then his pupils reemerged. He looked disorientated as if he had lost his mind, even if it was only for a moment or two.

"Are you okay?" I asked Grunt. Almost as if he knew exactly what had just happened, he nodded. I, too, felt disorientated. Our whole existence could be under threat. The boos were out there. It was only a matter of time that they did something that would affect us in one way or another. For example, they could incinerate the dark moon once and for all. Or, perhaps, they could try to open up a portal to unleash hell upon the universe, eventually collapsing it into nothing. Not even Luigi could survive that, though I know he's helped avoid a situation like that before.

As I said, there were more ghosts than ever before. There was no chance for anyone to stop an army like that.

We needed a plan. It seems Rob and I were both thinking of this because we both said, "we need a plan," at the same time, only a few moments after I zapped him with my tail. I allowed Rob to construct it as he was naturally the most stable of us. This was especially the case since Rob didn't seem to be afraid of boos. Somehow.

"We need the professor." Stated Rob. "I'm sure one of his contraptions will lead us to him. Without him, we may never understand enough to be able to get everyone out of this mess." Neither I or Grunt replied and so, he eventually just nodded anyway, as if to answer himself. "So, I guess we get started-"

A speedy spirit, one of the old ghosts, zoomed through the walls and past us in a blue flash. I didn't get a good look at its eyes - because of its immense speed - but I could only assume the worst for the world. The boos were gone, so I saw little help in trying to make everything seem okay.

It wasn't difficult to discover the speedy spirits because of all the tricks they played on others. In fact, they were the first of the old ghosts which I became familiarised with, shortly before I met Rob. They didn't seem to ever turn up when E. Gadd wanted to see the ghosts for the census or whatever reason, either, but I didn't really question it until much later.

Anyway, this speedy spirit zoomed past us so fast and unexpectedly that it interrupted Rob's speech and launched me back a couple of metres. Where did I land? I noticed too late.

I heard the movement of machinery behind me. Oh no, I thought to myself. What could it be? The Ice Cream maker? A poltergust prototype, perhaps? I looked at Rob and Grunt's faces slowly before I looked behind me. It was worse than I had feared.