Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Laying in bed, with a blanket over them, Sofia was wrapped around Leon's protective arms. She could feel his warmth radiating all over and found it comforting.

"I'm not sure when we'll be back..." Leon said. "Fucking bastard just had to do things on his own..."

Sofia lightly smiled, but it disappeared almost immediately.

"What do you feel?" Sofia asked.

Leon smirked, he leaned down and placed a loving kiss on her bare shoulder.

"I'm happy... I don't think there's anything more to top this." Leon chuckled as he traced kisses up to her neck.

"I'm not talking about this... I'm talking about where you're going." Sofia said.

Leon stopped when he reached Sofia's jaw.

"Oh..."

"Yeah, oh." Sofia muttered.

"It's war, Sofie... it's strange, four years ago, I was – we, were put into war just after we graduated... and ever since then, we were in war that felt like years, but in reality was just for six months... you'd think we'd get used to the idea of war, but we just don't... well, I don't."

Sofia sighed, she got up from bed, disappointing Leon as she started to pick up her dress and put it on. When she was securing the ties at the front, Leon came from behind and wrap his arms around her.

"I'm going to come back, Sofie... I promise." Leon said.

"How sure are you? The last time you went to battle... there were only eleven of you that came back." Sofia said. "What of the same thing happens – or worse – none of you comes back?"

"That's not gonna happen." Leon said. "Because this is different from the last time, we had no idea about out enemies before, but on we do... and, I'm pretty sure Iris wouldn't let that happen again..."

"You depend on her too much." Sofia rolled her eyes. "She's already facing a lot of pressure, don't add yourself to the burdens she have to carry."

Leon scoffed.

"Please, she's more like my burden." Leon joked.

Sofia flicked him at the forehead.

"You two are my burdens – for years, nothing has changed between the three of us."

Leon placed his hand on Sofia's abdomen and caressed her there.

"Iris and I will come back alive... that is a promise. Besides, I have even more reason to live now." He kissed her at the cheek.

"What, sex?" Sofia asked, with a stoic face.

"Well, there's that –" Sofia pushed him off of her. She then straddled him at his hips, she leaned down and place a kiss on his lips. But she pulled away as a thought passed her mind.

"This is just the beginning, isn't it?" Sofia asked.

Leon nodded.

"So much has happened for the past four years... and yet, we're still not close to finishing this battle."

Leon frowned.

"I remember what Iris said... this mission..." Leon muttered. "Will tell us what will happen... will tells us the fate of all Eldians... and the world... if we fail, then there is nothing more we could do but continue on the battle until one of us is left standing..."