Lifesaver (Ari)

Ari was a lifesaver. Metaphorically and literally. Not only does he smuggle Jewish-Ethiopians from Sudan to Israel safely but he help me with my anxiety. When we're out getting the folks on to the rafts, my anxiety sometimes gets the better of me and my brain thinks the worst of the outcome, for example, getting caught while transporting the people or maybe some of the speed boats flipping while getting to the transport ship.

Usually, Ari notices my rapid breathing before it gets out of hand and I'm able to carry on helping the Ethiopians refugees. But this time, we wasn't as lucky.

Basically, the pilot for a plane thats come a pick our team up and the many, many Jews that we've promised we'll get to safety is currently explaining to Ari that they can't let everyone on because it only seats so many people. Max (our look out), announced that 'we've got company' which caused Ari to lash out at the pilot and me to slowly start to hyperventilate. I got some questioning looks from the Jewish-Ethiopians and some tried to even help me calm down but it was too late. I was already in a full anxiety attack.

I didn't realise a small child pushed their way through the huge crowd to alert Ari about myself while the team were throwing out the seats in the carrier plane until I was getting picked up and put on the plane while the Rebels were shooting at the plane.

Ari was patient with me while helping me escape from the world of worry and panic. He held me in his lap, my legs wrapped around his waist and his chest against mine. He rested his chin on head while it was in his neck, breathing in his soothing scent. He did breathing exercises and whispered sweet nothings into my ear. My fears and overwhelmed emotions disappeared and soon I was chatting and hugging Ari like normal again.

"Hey, look. Look at all the people we've helped. I would love for us to come back here and help even more people but I won't force you. I don't want you hurt or panicked. I love you after all.." Ari whispered soothingly in my ear. I smiled and blushed.

"Of course I'd come back here, getting panicked is worth it if I give innocent people another chance to live and practice their religion safely. I'll be safe as long as I have you. I love you too."

And we did. Went went back, again and again and again. We saved so many men, women and children cross safely to Israel. We did it together, because we love each other and because were both now lifesavers.

The day I wrote this (10th August) I got a second budgie. I had one previously and it needed a friends cause soon me and my family won't be in the house as much (school and work) and they are social animals. We have the original, a male called Chris. And the female called Glenda (but we call it Glen.)