Chapter 7 -Shopping

Start from the beginning

"But, as lovely as I think the idea is," Asmaa said in a reasonable tone. "You are getting married In Shaa Allah, soon, and that is what you need to focus on."

Waliya sighed and then picked out a pair of black jeans and held it against her hip. "I know. I used to be so excited to get married. I had everything planned out at one stage. Yet, now that it is happening, I can't even find the enthusiasm in me to be happy," she said and grabbed the jeans by the hanger and threw it over her arm.

"I need to make the wedding invitations, I need to send out the invitations, I need to have a guest list. I need to contact the cooks and make sure that they give their ingredients list timeously. I need to call the hall decorators and then still make my abaya. Wallah, there is still so much to do. Not to mention the zikr night. Ya Allah, what am I going to do?" Waliya said, starting to get stressed. "And the mendhi night! Ya Allah, there is so many things to do!"

Asmaa rolled her eyes and led Waliya to pay. "Wals, you need to stop stressing," she said as the cashier waved them forward. Waliya went through the motions, while her mind was still occupied by how much she had to do. As she was taking her change from the cashier, her cell phone rang. She gestured for Asmaa to grab her change as she walked outside the shop to answer. It was an unsaved number.

"Hello?" she answered cautiously.

There was a second of silence, then a deep breath followed. "Assalaamualaikum," a male's voice floated through.

"Wa'alaikumusalaam," Waliya said, in the same tone as before.

"Waliya, it is Aahil, maaf to disturb you, but with the permission of your father and brother, I got your cell phone number. I need to tell you something," he said sounding nervous.

Waliya bit the corner of her lip, contemplating what to answer. "Uhm, no that is not a problem," she said uncomfortably, referring to the fact that he got her cell phone number. "I am actually at the mall with my friends," she said.

He expelled a breath. "I need to tell you this today, and I would rather prefer to tell you this in person. Do you mind if I come to see you there?"

She cringed and pulled her face as her friends walked out. Asmaa noticed her distress first. "What?" she mouthed to Waliya.

Waliya scrunched her face up. "Aahil wants to meet me to talk," she answered back.

Asmaa nodded eagerly.

Having the support she needed, Waliya replied, "No, I don't mind. Can we meet at the food court, In Shaa Allah?" she asked and then hastily mentioned what mall she was at.

"Jee," Aahil answered. "That is no problem. I will see you in an hour, In Shaa Allah."

After shortly explaining to her friends what the phone call was about, they went to finish their last minute shopping. Waliya and Asmaa bought a few more high-waist, loose and flowing skirts and a couple of abayas as well. By the time they were done, it was time for Aahil to be arriving at any moment.

With slow steps, they walked to the food court as they spoke. As soon as they reached, Waliya saw Aahil sitting at one of the first tables in the front row. She blushed, and looked at the ground, stopping dead in her tracks. Her friends stared at her.

"Wals?" Tina called.

She looked up at her with frightened eyes and discreetly pointed to Aahil who sat there watching her with a small smile on his face. He was amazed at her sheer humility and shyness on seeing him but her utter vivaciousness with her friends. She was a work of art, and on her acceptance of his proposal, she was soon to be his wife, In Shaa Allah. He hung his head, as he noticed her friend pushing her towards him.