15 - Coming to a Head

As promised, Ben did retrieve my sabers...but he had to get them from General Hux, who had confiscated them after my abrupt exit after committing my first homicide. From then on, I kept them on my person at all times. I made sure to never let anyone get near them or touch them.

I stay in my quarters as often as possible, unless I'm needed for training. I slip out long enough to shower and retrieve food, and use the bathroom. Otherwise, I spend my time meditating on my cot.

Today is no different. Though I could use a walk outside of the base, I don't particularly feel up to running into someone who will question me. I also don't want to run into a certain orange-haired, smug-faced son of a bitch either. I can't guarantee he and I will be civil.

But I swore to Ben, unless Hux throws the first punch, I will not pursue revenge. I will focus on our goal: pulling him from the dark and escaping the First Order. So far, half of that goal seems more attainable. With what happened recently, with Cayden and Hux...escaping seems almost impossible.

I still can't shake the feeling that having me execute Cayden was a personal hit, a message solely for me. I have a few suspects when it comes to the sender of the said message.

I feel the nuisance of a presence, so I know immediately who's disturbing my session.

"The purpose of meditation is to not be disturbed," I say sharply, maintaining my position on the floor. "Come back later."

"I never did formally congratulate you."

"For what?"

"For making your first kill."

Great, I'm now in a place where people congratulate you for murdering someone. I try not to vomit on Hux, though temping it is. "Spare me the small talk, Hux. This can't be the only reason why you've dropped by. You're unwelcome here, by the way."

"Did you happen to peek through my mind?"

"No, I didn't. It's just an observation." Though, judging by his offended tone, I can assume Ben has done so at least once to the general. Or perhaps Snoke has. "Tell me, General, what do I owe this exceedingly painful visit?"

"You are supposed to be shadowing Lord Ren to better understand the workings of the First Order. You haven't been. Why is that? Murder is fleeting. It happens, then you move on with your life."

I wince. I know for a fact that's not how that works. "Everyone copes in different ways. Sorry if I don't hold up to your standard."

"I've also noticed some...changes in Lord Ren since you've arrived."

"Good changes, I hope?"

"Not quite. You see...before you executed the prisoner, when he was informed of what was to happen, he looked...dare I say it, worried."

"What would he have worried about?"

"It seemed as though he worried about you."

"He probably didn't want all his hard work to fail." I shrug. I hate talking about Cayden's murder so casually. We're not talking the damn weather here. "Or maybe he didn't want it to fall back on him. I doubt Snoke appreciates failure."

"I have worked with Lord Ren for some time, Galavan. I know how he operates. He is not a vulnerable man, it does not look good on him. Who I saw before you arrived...he looked vulnerable." Hux says the word with a sneer. "While I understand the worry he has as a mentor, I can't help but wonder if there is a more underlying meaning."

"You must've been off your game, Hux. Kylo Ren doesn't know vulnerable even if it smacked him in the face. You've overextended your stay, please leave. As a general, I'm sure you have more pressing matters to attend to." I click my tongue. "Actually, if you want to play Accusation, let me throw one out to you—it's only fair. That prisoner that I murdered...did you believe he and I shared a connection?"

"He never looked harmed when I visited."

"There are better ways to pull information from someone. You just need to know their pressure points, what makes them sing. Tell me, General, do you have any?"

"If I did, you wouldn't have the privilege to know them." Hux sniffs.

I jump from my cot, unlit sabers hitting my body. "You hurt the prisoner."

"I did no such thing; I don't get blood on my hands."

"Yet you'll shoot a blaster."

"You were attempting to make me your second victim, Galavan. A man needs to defend himself."

"As does a woman," I say snidely.

"Tell me, was the prisoner a friend? A lover, perhaps? Kindness does not produce results for the First Order. We make our opposition break in order for them to give us what we want."

"What are you implying, General?"

"Whatever game you are playing, Galavan, it needs to end. If it doesn't, I will end it myself, starting with ending your life."

"Tough talk from a guy who holds a blaster while I've got two sabers. I hope you never forget that crucial tidbit."

"I hope you realize that overconfidence leads to downfall. I can't wait for that day of reckoning to come for you."

"You're in my quarters, Hux. Get out. I will happily kick you out if you don't comply." I give him a faux smile.

Surprisingly, he does not instigate further. Instead, he backs out of my quarters before I consider letting myself hurt him.

* * *

I'm out in one of the base hangars, watching the activity below. It's astounding, like watching ants on an anthill. They all have their little jobs, they scurry around. The only ones who don't scurry are the troopers in white armor; they always march in unison. Ever the obedient, mindless soldiers they are.

My arms hang over the railing of the balcony I am on. Somehow, I feel detached from the bigger picture, the war in the galaxy. Well, why should I be involved? What my mission is does not affect the outcome of the war...it can't.

Can the changing mindset of one man turn the tide of a war that involves thousands of lives, if not many more?

I inhale sharply as recent events fly through my mind. Though I should mourn Cayden more, I still haven't finished my task here. I still need to redeem Ben. I still need to get us away from the First Order so I can cement his redemption.

I can't imagine what will happen if we manage to pull this off.

"You look out of your habitat, Galavan."

I scowl at Hux's leering tone. "I'm observing from a good distance. I'm not getting up close and personal unless I must."

"One day, you will lead our soldiers into battle. You'll command them."

Having lives in my hands? I don't like the idea very much. "What, you're not against that idea?"

"You must not know Captain Phasma. She's one of our higher ups in command of the soldiers. They're easy enough to order around."

"Am I required to earn their respect, General?"

"Some you do, but most obey once they are assigned a leader."

"I must earn your respect, huh?"

"You never will."

My senses tingle, and I react too slow to stop it.

The blast sounds off in the hangar, and the impact sends me buckling to my knees. Breathing hurts, and my abdomen roars in pain. The spot is starting to grow wet and sticky.

Hux aims his blaster at me again. I react on instinct, giving him a Force shove. He gets flung over the railing, falling to the floor below. I send myself to the floor, hearing commotion below. Maybe I've killed Hux.

He's not killing me. Grunting, I use the railing to help heave myself up to my feet. The hangar spins violently. I must be losing too much blood. Leaning heavily on my support, I start to head for the nearest door, elevator, something. If I can find one body to help me to the infirmary...

Blackness takes me, and my body crashes onto the cold floor before I can cushion the fall.