The Rehearsal Dinner

Start from the beginning

I stepped inside the cab and waved a final goodbye. Diego and Natali waved back, both with a shy smile on their faces. I gave the driver my address and we moved forward.

I glanced back and saw that they had started walking and talking. Everyone deserved to love and be loved. Those two might have a better chance at it then me and Levi.

My thoughts shocked me. Was this the time I told myself, "enough and moved on"?

As soon as I arrived home, I went straight to my guest bedroom's tiny closet where a box was hidden. I knelt and pulled it out, lifted the lid and let the scent of its contents hit me.

A tear escaped my eye and dropped on Levi's overnight bag, the one he had left in my Paris hotel room.

One way or another, I had to return what was rightfully his.

****

The Benjamins opened their beautiful mansion in Pacific Heights for Jake and Sandrine's rehearsal dinner. I'd had one chance to stay in this vast property when Jake and I dated. I'd loved it then, and it still awed me now.

After parking my car, I took out some items from the trunk that I would need for the night.

"Hello, Nica!" Jake's mother greeted me from the portico. "Do you need any help?"

I waved at her while stacking my things. "I'm fine, Mrs. Benjamin."

She didn't listen. She grabbed my purse and the dress I brought to wear tonight. "How many times do I have to tell you to call me Cynthia? Is this what you're wearing tonight? How beautiful!"

"Thank you." I had picked up the embroidered black and fuchsia dress only two days ago. It had been an impromptu purchase.

After perusing my closet and not finding the perfect dress for the rehearsal dinner, I had gone online to check out dresses and thankfully found one available for pick up in a local shop. It was the most expensive dress that I now owned.

When I had shown it to Chase, she had agreed that the overpriced dress would be the perfect thing to wear (and wow) on the night that I would come face to face with Levi again.

Walking into the mansion and being greeted by glitz and glamour, I knew I had made the right choice on the dress. Jake's and a few of Sandrine's family and friends would be arriving in a few hours and they'd be as elegant as their surroundings.

Cynthia directed me to the library where I could keep things. After that, I went into large kitchen where people of all shapes and sizes were running around like maniacs trying to get everything prepared.

I tapped Julie's shoulder to get her attention away from the tablet she was holding.

"Thank God, you're here!" She handed me the tablet and in one breath, said, "Flowers just arrived. Mateo and Gerard are setting up the bars, two in the terrace and four in the yard. The lights should have been strung up last night but they weren't so that's happening now. I just found out that at least six people are allergic to seafood. And the string quartet just called to say their cellist has a stomach flu."

"Juls, breathe." I showed her what to do, taking in a deep breath then letting it out slowly. "You've done a great job. I'll take over. Chase is waiting for you at the office."

Julie had been working for us since the startup. Chase and I agreed that as soon as we expanded, she would be offered a partnership. But that was a long way off yet, and Julie still had a lot to learn.

She nodded. "Yes. You're right. Well, you're here. I give you the reins. Jake asked that you see them as soon as you come in. He and Sandrine are in the parlor."