Chapter 13

Thanks for the 1K reads and 100 votes! Please read and vote and comment!

The story continues below.

Chameleon was munching on his freshly caught jaguar in front of a wall that was a riot of color. He wasn't sure who had built the wall, when they did, or why they did, but really, that didn't matter.

The breeze ruffled the petals of blue and purple morning glory flowers overhead. They hung like bells from the vines that choked the wall, and Chameleon could also see the bursts of color from the delicate white orange-pink orchids that grew in the mossy crevices.

He breathed a sigh and slid down to the wall, leaning against it. He ripped the paw off the jaguar and began to chew it.

"NO PARA!" suddenly yelled a voice.

Chameleon almost leaped out of his scales. Who was that?

Why did that voice sound familiar?

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

It was Jaguar.

And he would be far from pleased if he discovered Chameleon snacking on an animal he was named after.

Chameleon started to scoot away from the wall, but not before Jaguar stepped into the clearing.

"The trick is to imagine you are the thing you're camouflaging, Para," Jaguar said, "and not just trying to imitate it. You know, there is a difference."

"How many times do I have to TELL YOU?!!" screamed a new voice, presumably the dragon named "Para." "Don't call me 'PARA!'"

"Eh. Saves more time to say it," said Jaguar, shrugging. "'Para' has fewer syllables than 'Parakeet.'"

Chameleon laughed, but snapped his mouth shut immediately when Jaguar whipped his head in his direction.

Jaguar's wings turned a shade of blood-red. His eyes became two narrow slits. "What are you doing here?" he spat. His eyes landed on the jaguar. "ARE YOU EATING A JAGUAR?"

"Um, yes," said Chameleon, edging away. "Um. I'll just go now, if you don't mind..."

"No. You are not going anywhere," snarled Jaguar, his whole body completely red now. Flecks of black started to appear on his talons and started to twitch around, like disturbed ants. "Give the jaguar a proper burial."

"I already ate part of it though," protested Chameleon. "Giving a burial will just waste food."

"BY ALL THE STUPID MOONS," Jaguar shouted, "Do you not know my NAME IS 'JAGUAR?' Show some respect and- STOP EATING IT!"

"Mmm hmmph HMMMPHH HMPHH," mumbled Chameleon through his chunk of flesh.

Jaguar stormed over, snatched the rest of the jaguar, then threw the carcass at Chameleon's face.

"HEY!" roared Chameleon, surging up. "Unnecessary!"

"GET OUT!" screamed Jaguar. "I never want to see you EVER AGAIN!" and with that, Jaguar stomped away, muttering curses under his breath and dragging a very confused Parakeet behind him.

Chameleon sighed, picked up the jaguar, then ate the rest of it reluctantly.

Soon, he thought. Soon I'll leave this wretched forest.