Chapter Three

Arnav was sitting on the dining table munching on his toast when he heard a throat-clearing sound. Arnav looked up at the source of the sound.

Arnav..You can not go to the office today.” Devyani ordered him. 

Why?” Arnav asked calmly, although he could smell something very wrong in the air. 

We are thinking about your marriage, It's high time you should get settled.” Subhadra said softly. 

Arnav looked at her surprised, “Marriage?” 

You're of age. And clearly you aren't thinking about it so it's our duty to initiate efforts in this direction.” Subhadra told him.

Arnav smiled, amused. “Nani-

I don't want to hear anything from you anymore. I know marriage isn't something on the cards for you at the moment. But we want to see you settled before we close our eyes.” Devyani said firmly. 

But at least-

The girl and his family will be coming in a few hours. If you have respected us even for a minute. You will stay in for today and meet the girl.” Subhadra said with finality in her voice. 

Dadi.. At least listen to- DADI!” Arnav looked at his grandmother's retreating form flasbaggered. 

Chotte..

What am I? A puppet? She just forced her decision on me and left like nothing happened.” Arnav said shocked. 

Chotte.. But-” 

Did you know that this was going on in their minds?” Arnav asked.

No.. I didn't.. I didn't know anything about this.” Anjali told him truthfully. 

***

Arnav was sitting on the couch, fiddling with the channels on the television. Khushi walked out of the kitchen, with a tray supporting a bowl of kheer and two smaller bowls.

Stop messing with the remote like a five-year old!!She exclaimed keeping setting the tray in front of him.

Arnav pouted, as Khushi took her place beside him.

What’s bothering you?” She asked him. 

I don’t know, to be honest.” He confessed, “There are a lot of things on my mind at the moment.” 

One of them being my father & my insolent half-brother.” She stated and he smiled, confirming her doubts.

Firoz will not give up that easily Khushi, I knew that from the very start.” Arnav said calmly.

Well, he is stubborn.” Khushi agreed as she handed him the bowl of kheer. 

Arnav took the bowl, “We’ll fight, till they accept that there’s no possibility of ever keeping us apart. We’re meant to be together. No matter what!!” He assured her.

Khushi smiled, cuddling to him on the couch. “Your family will accept us right?” She asked innocently.

Of course baby, they’ll love you just like I do.” He said confidently.

Promise?” She looked up at him, with her uncertainty shining in her hazel orbs.

Tumhari kasam jaan. (I swear on you love.)”  Arnav kissed her forehead lovingly.