Chapter 16

My mom smirked and narrowed her eyes at me as I stepped into the living room with Jasper. I was so sure that my hair was messy and my clothes were ruffled, but I didn't care. I sat down on the couch as Jas sat next to me, his hand in mine.

"So, it's almost seven." Mom said and sat facing the both of us. "Where have you been?"

"I...I um, well, we went to Jasper's house. He showed me around, and then we grabbed something to eat. Sorry for being a little late." I said, eyeing her. She smiled and nodded.

"That's fine, but give me a call next time, okay? Eva called me and told that you are not with her. I was worried, Hope." She said as I nodded and looked down at the floor. She turned to Jas with a huge smile. "I'm not blaming you, my dear."

Jas smiled back. "It's okay, Mrs. Williams. I'm sorry for keeping her with me for so long."

"Oh, not to worry about that now. Here, do you want something to drink...or maybe even something to eat?" She asked, standing up.

I looked at Jas and saw him shaking his head. "No, thank you ma'am. I'll just get going. Thank you for everything."

"Oh no! It's fine. Come here and visit us anytime you want. Now that you know my dear Hope here very well...."

"Mom!" I blushed and felt a squeeze on my hand. I looked at Jas and saw him trying not to laugh.

Mom chuckled and went over to the kitchen.

"You think it's funny, do you?" I asked from Jasper.

He looked down at my flushed cheeks and smiled. "I don't, but your mom...she is funny. She made you blush, which I'm so happy to see." He pointed out.

I hugged with annoyance. "Then you two can keep me blushing until I explode into smithereens." I said.

"Oh, don't worry. I won't let that happen." He said and kissed my cheek. He stood up, making me look back at him. "I should get going now. My mom will call me anytime soon."

I stood up beside him and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "Thanks for everything." I whispered in his ear.

He smiled as our eyes met. "You too."

Then he went over to the door with me and before getting into his car he, waved me goodbye.
________________________________

I straightened my sleeveless t shirt after stepping out from the car. I searched for any familiar face on the grounds, and immediately found Eva and Jacob waiting for me against a tall white piller near the gate. I smiled and waved. They nodded and started walking towards me as I did the same towards them.

"The basketball game ended about fifteen minutes ago." Jacob announced as I reached them. I nodded and sighed.

"I know, but I had to go see the doctor today. I'm here for the after event anyways."

"Why doctor so suddenly?" Eva asked, searching my face.

"Um...they called just to consult me. You know, to see whether I'm doing okay. They were glad to see me without any trace of a fit." I grinned cheerfully.

Eva patted my shoulder. "Glad to hear that, girl."

"Yeah." Jacob agreed. "Why don't we celebrate this in there?" He pointed over his shoulder towards the grounds. I chuckled and nodded.

We walked through the gates into the grounds, and I started searching for a trace of Jasper amongst the crowd. I spotted him and waved. He smiled and waved back before started running towards us.

He kissed my forehead as he reached me. "You are late."

"I know, but I had to go see the doctor." I said.

He looked into my eyes with a very concerned look in them. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I said and slid my hand into his. "Just for a consultation."

He sighed. "Oh, I'm glad. You scared me."

I chuckled. "Sorry."

"Oh look who's here..!!" A very raw, hard voice said from behind, and we all, Eva, Jacob,.Jas And me, turned to see who it was.

My heart dropped to my stomach. It was that boy from the lake, with a couple of guys from his gang. A smirk was spread in his face and the same leather jacket covered his broad shoulders. He is handsome, but the scars on his face gave it all away. His knuckles were scarred too, and very pale. He balled them into fists, and glared at me.

"It's my cousin brother with his infected little girl!" He sneered, his nose twitching as he talked. "What a freak show!"

"Shut up and get away from here, Ace." Jasper's voice growled as his grip tightened around my hand. Oh, not again!

"What if I don't? What are you going to do, baby brother?" Ace stepped closer to Jas and me. I gulped as my head started to spin slightly.

"Im not going to do anything, just...leave us alone!" Jasper said, furiously, his face going pale as his knuckles around my hand were.

"Us?" Ace's eyes turned to me.