High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 7

Start from the beginning

"I do," Maxx shook his head in confusion, "Ya know I do, darlin'."

"People who like you don't stand you up," you swallowed, "They don't leave you waiting for them for two hours."

"What're ya-"

"If I'm too 'city' for you, you can tell me," you sniffled, swiping the back of your hand across your cheeks, "You don't have to be a jerk – just tell me you want me to go California after all instead of staying here."

"Whoa there, darlin', why would ya think I want ya leavin' here?" His heart ached at not being able to wipe your tears himself, but if you didn't want him touching you in that moment, he wasn't going to. "Darlin', please – what did I do?" he practically begged

"You said you were gonna meet me at the lake," you breathed out shakily, "Said we were gonna have a picnic by the water."

"I didn't say any of that," he furrowed his eyebrows, "Been helpin' out Asha at the store all day – ya know that."

"No, you weren't!" you whimpered pathetically as you finally looked up at him, making Maxx suck in a sharp breath, "You said you got done early and you wanted to take me on a date!"

"Darlin', I-" 

Maxx cut himself off when you sprung up and ran inside the house. He sighed to himself, putting his face in his hands for a moment before getting up and chasing after you. 

"Y/N!" he called out as the front door closed behind him. He hurried up the stairs and made it to your bedroom door, but he didn't knock when he heard his sister's voice coming from the other side.

"Y/N..." Jazzy said gently, rubbing your back as you laid face-down on your bed, "What happened? I never seen ya like this." 

Maxx's heart felt like it was going to beat out of his chest as he listened to you tell her about the previous three hours of your life. But he only grew more confused if anything else – he hadn't done any of the things you said he had. You told her about how you'd gotten a text from Maxx about wanting to go on a date – your first date together, how you spent an hour getting ready and headed for the lake, and how you sat there for two hours, only to realize he wasn't going to show up.

"Aw, Y/N... Why don't ya take a nap then, huh?" she soothed, "Ya need to take a break and jus' forget for a couple hours. Scout's honor I won't let ya sleep past dinner." You let out a genuine laugh, and though it was small, she still heard it and smiled as well. 

"Thanks, Jazzy," you whispered hoarsely, "Not really that tired though."

"Well, how 'bout you, me, and Juliette have a girls day then?" she suggested, "I reckon all of us could use one after workin' on our ranches with all them boys for so long."

"That sounds perfect," you admitted with a soft grin.

"I'll go call Juliette, and you can wash y're face," she rubbed your back again, "No more cryin' over stupid boys tonight!"

"Agreed," you giggled, pushing yourself off of the bed and going into the attached bathroom while Jazzy headed to the door.

Maxx's eyes widened as his sister's footsteps got closer, but he wasn't able to find a place to hide in time. The moment she was out of the bedroom and noticed him standing there, Jazzy was grabbing Maxx's shirt collar and dragging him along with her. He huffed in surprise, stumbling down the stairs and outside where she could speak freely without alerting you.