Peace

CHAPTER 23; PEACE

• ALEN'S P.O.V •

Things were looking up when we found out that Jasmine's injury wasn't as bad. She did suffer quite a bit of blood loss, but thankfully the bullet missed major muscle areas and other more important areas as well. So, she was expected to heal much faster!

As for Khadeejah, she was to face a trial sooner or later, but the date was not yet decided. Knowing Khadeejah, she didn't care at all. Sometimes it was hard for me to determine if she was a high or low functioning sociopath. I had done more research to understand who she was and who I was going dealing with. It still chilled me to the bone.

Then there was, Theo. I couldn't deny that I was starting to like him, that was for sure. But, my feelings were still all over the place, especially after the incident with Khadeejah.

It was becoming hard for me to figure things out, which coincidentally always had to occur when things were good between Theo and I.

Things were good between him and I, so why was I still unsure about everything?

I pushed all those thoughts away as I continued working on my very easy English assignment. We were required to break down the synopsis of a Shakespeare book called, Hamlet, which was essentially the intro to studying the book.

I sighed, not being able to think of anything but him.

I always did this; pushing away thoughts of Theo out of my head, but somehow all my efforts went to waste. So why try to even push him away?

I had no reason to. There wasn't anything that was stopping us anymore. Just my uncontrollable fear of losing something really good and Theo was...really good.

That was as simple as it could get.

The bell snapped me out of my trance, signalling that it was time to go home.

As I got out of my seat, I grabbed my backpack and thought about how I still hadn't gotten used to all this quietness.

My mind wasn't racing, thinking about all these absurd possibilities, the atmosphere didn't scream drama anymore and everything was just pleasant. Relaxing.

We had peace.

•••

"It feels like forever since we had a proper conversation." I admitted sheepishly, glancing at my feet, as colour rose to my cheeks. I wasn't sure why I was feeling embarrassed around Theo, maybe it was just his intoxicating presence that made me feel shy.

He flashed a small smile, clearly amused by my flustered behaviour. This somewhat worsened my feeling. I'm not supposed to be an open book.

A barely-audible sigh escaped my lips, as we just stood near each other, at the middle between both of our houses.

"Then...Let's do something!" He proposed, his energy momentarily taking me off guard.

"Do what?" I questioned warily. I wasn't sure what this impulsive decision had in favour, but I was willing to take the risk—whatever it may be.

"Anything we want. Maybe something relaxing?" He suggested, raising an eyebrow waiting for my answer. He looked so carefree, definitely a contrast to his more serious, and don't-eff-with-me demeanour.

"I could relax..." I was a little anxious, but it wasn't something to stress about.

He grabbed my hand—believe it or not, that simple gesture made me redden—and we went into his car. Even though I had absolutely no reason to doubt Theo, or to not give him my trust, I still was paranoid. Yet, I did my best to push away that nagging feeling and focused on my need to relax.