Prologue

A ginger and white cat sat on a stone bathed in moonlight as the feline overlooked the forest below. Her fluffy tail flicked and she blinked away the glare in the side of her eye.

Her ear flicked as a cat padded up to her, her green eyes flashing as she dipped her golden-brown tabby head. She sat down next to the long-furred cat, her tail flicking around her paws neatly.

"How is Milkfire?" The long-furred she-cat asked, looking at her companion. "Will she be okay?" The worry in her voice was evident and her eyes gleamed with anxiety.

The other cat, looking much calmer and softer, nodded and rested her thin tail on the other cat's back. "She will pull through, Swiftstar." She meowed, her paws twitching. "As she always does."

Swiftstar nodded and let her broad shoulders relax as the other she-cat pressed against her flank. "Thank you, Newtstem." She purred, her tail wrapping around the healer to keep her warm. "You are the best medicine cat we could ever have."

Newtstem let out a purr and let the leader rasp her tongue against her head comfortingly. As the two sat on the cold stone, a yowl broke out from the entrance of the enclosed camp protected by thorns and brambles as a barrier.

Swiftstar shot to her paws, as did Newtstem and the medicine cat looked at her leader as her eyes narrowed and she shot down the rock. The healer hurried after her, other cats stumbling out of their dens to see the commotion.

"Help me!" A voice cried from just outside the camp and a black she-cat carried a kit in her jaws. "Please, take in my son! They'll kill him if you don't!"

Swiftstar tensed as she heard yowling nearing the camp and she looked at the frantic she-cat, staring back at her with wide, scared blue eyes. She thought for a split second before nodding. "What's its name?"

The she-cat looked relieved but it was short-lived as she set her kit down in front of the leader. "His name is Cliff, please take care of him."

Newtstem appeared at Swiftstar's side and looked over the kit and she-cat quickly as the sounds of snarling came closer. "What's your name?" She asked as the only apprentice, Swallowpaw, took the kit by the scruff.

The smoky black cat turned her back on the Clan cats before answering. "My name is Creeksnow, I'll lead them away before they kill all of us." As Creeksnow raced away, Swiftstar turned to her warriors.

"Falconclover, Nightfeather, Brindlethroat, and Nutcry go help her." Ordered the she-cat and she turned to her medicine cat. "Clean the kit and get him to Weednettle for milk."

Newtstem held her leader's gaze before nodding and racing away with her apprentice, Swallowpaw, at her heels. Swiftstar watched them go and she flicked her tail at the noise of the other warriors and elders going back into their nests.

**********

It was dawn when the four cats came back to camp and Swiftstar was the first one to greet them. "How did it go?" She queried, her eyes concerned.

Her deputy, Falconclover, shook his head. "The black cat died but we managed to scare off the other cats who were chasing her." He reported, looking to his battered Clanmates. "Go get your wounds treated by Newtstem and Swallowpaw then rest." He ordered.

As they left, Falconclover turned to his leader. "Wasn't Creeksnow the deputy of WindClan?" Asked the deputy, his head tilting to one side.

Swiftstar flinched and nodded, turning her gaze to the rising sun that was peeking over the trees. "Yes, she was."