Part 1: First Episode of my Life

I'd heard a lot of stories about Captain Kirk by the time I landed a position on the USS Enterprise. Dashing hero. Lover. Arrogant asshole. I'd never met him though. Which didn't matter. I was aiming for his seat, and by god I was going to get it. If I had to fight my way through Klingons, Romulans, and Starfleet minions to get there, I would.

     The Academy was hell. I wouldn't call myself book-smart, but I got through with a lot of tutoring and tears. Don't have looks going for me either, but I'm damn good in a crisis. I want to do great things and go down in a blaze of glory. History will remember the name Erin Cobos.

     Navigating the loading dock, I found myself looking up at the great bulk of the Enterprise for the first time. You see pictures and videos, but nothing does the ship justice. I couldn't stop grinning. With this ship's track record, anyone on the bridge could make commodore in a few years. Get to the bridge, and it's smooth sailing. Kirk won't know what's happening until my pretty ass is in that seat. I straightened my blood-red tunic, touching the operations patch for luck. Just wait, Enterprise. You'll be mine soon enough.

     I stepped onto the temporary transporter pad. The one in command was under maintenance. The engineers I'd spoken to had been mortified there wasn't a proper transporter for the Enterprise's visit. "Ensign Cobos, reporting for beaming to the USS Enterprise."

     The man on duty didn't even look up. "You're the last to arrive. Get on the pad."

     I memorized his features. He's fired when I'm in charge. He's got garbage lying around where it could blow into the stream, merge with the transportee and cause a gory mess. And checking my ID would be a start. I could be a Klingon and he'd teleport me up to the Enterprise. "Ready to energize," I said.

     The man worked the controls. I stayed perfectly still as the beam caught me in its silver light. The next thing I saw was a grey wall. Turning myself around, I studied the transporter room. Not nearly as flashy as I thought it would be. Although, they are warriors. You don't become a legend these days by being peaceful. I was getting weird looks from the other ensigns waiting in a line. I joined them at the end, next to a girl in blue. She'd chosen the miniskirt. Amateur.

     She raised an eyebrow at me. "Being late doesn't endear you to the officers. You'll never get a promotion that way."

     I fixed her with a bright smile. "Firstly, keep some perspective. We're officers. Second of all, I'm on time, not early like you suck-ups. Thirdly, shut your face."

     She looked like I'd stuffed a lemon in her mouth. I got a furious look, but she did shut her face.

     The yellowshirt standing next to my blueshirt leaned out, grinning at me. "You know the redshirts always die, right?"

     "They don't kill the important ones. I'll get scared when Chief Engineer Scott kicks the bucket."

     "You'll be dead by the end of the day with that lovable attitude." The yellowshirt tapped his chest. "Sprite. Anthony Sprite."

     Blueshirt rolled her eyes. "Be friends with her and you'll kill your career in seconds."

     I turned my Dangerous Look on her. "I thought you got the memo the first time."

     She glared.

     Sprite's shoulders shook as he tried to contain his laugh. "I take it you're going to sass your way to the top."

     "Damn right. I'm Erin Cobos."

     "Look alive, ensigns." A lieutenant waltzed into the room. "I'd say try not to look like a ton of trembling tribbles, but you never pass that one." He surveyed our faces. "I'm Lieutenant Hoal. This ain't gonna be no pleasure cruise but do as I say and you might make it alive. Captain ain't here because he's cleaning up from our last spot of trouble on Gothos. Don't expect to see much of him."

     Fine by me.

     Hoal fixed his gaze on me. "What're you smiling about? Your name, ensign."

     Pissing off management. What a great start. "Cobos, sir."

     "Watch yourself when the Klingons come calling. Cockiness gets you killed."

     "Yes, sir."

     "You've all been assessed, and with your pitiful qualifications you've been assigned to stations even you couldn't mess up. Get some experience under your belts and maybe we'll see some promise." Hoal produced a list. He held it like it was venomous. "Your communicators are loaded with your assignments, but it's tradition to read 'em out. Ensigns Holly, O'Sullivan, and Michael will be working under Chief Engineer Scott. Blean is with Lieutenant Uhura. Sprite with Lieutenant Tetra. Gabriel with Chief Medical Officer McCoy. Cobos and Nowak with Lieutenant Marple. Now get out." We filed from the room, Hoal watching with a critical eye. I smiled at him as I passed.

     First ten minutes on the Enterprise and it already feels like home.