Ch. 15: Have A Little Faith

Skye's POV

I felt like I was sinking. Like my body was submerged into quicksand. Chase's words clung to the air, making it too stiff to breath. Another tear poured down my cheek, dampening the fur on my face. I know I've shed many tears in the past, but this was the one I really felt. A mix of regret but bliss.

Now I'm thinking, where was I when he was wanting—no—needing me this whole time? Why didn't I see it all before? Why didn't I run into his arms when I had the chance? More importantly, why did I walk away when he needed me the most? All I ever did was hurt him and look where that ended us.

Not knowing how to answer to that, I chose to just show him instead. I need him more. And that's the truth. He was the one to fill that empty space in my heart. In my soul. I have to let him know that it was wrong of me to push him away. So wrong, that I'd punish myself for a lifetime. I don't deserve a true and sentimental guy like Chase.

How I wish to turn back time where none of this never happened yet. When we were just watching the sun settle down the horizon, the warmth dying on our skin before a thousand stars illuminated the black sky. And when I think about it, Chase was the sunset in my life. Quiet, noble and unhurried. He decorated my memories with a million stars, even if they were at the darkest of times. He caressed my heart in a tender glow of warmth and comfort whenever he was present. I can't remember the last time I ever had someone like him to love me with a full heart and devoted soul.

I forgot where I even was right now, neglecting any trace of what was even going on in the outside world. The only subject of the matter was the pup on front of me. I need to be here for him in what could be the last time I could ever see him again in this solaced form.

I buried my face in his soft fur, crying softly unlike how I was bawling out earlier. I just realized that this past few days were the only days I've cried so much. And those tears were all for the one on front of me. Life has an unruly way of unfolding truths and revealing secrets that mean more than the world itself.

"I need you more." I whispered, my voice cracking a bit from the small sob escaping from my throat. "I wanted to tell you, but I was afraid."

I felt something wrap around my head I assume to be Chase's arm, holding me close. "Afraid of what?"

I took a shaky breath and finally let it out. My biggest fear since the start. Since the incident with the explosian. Since the discovery of my feelings for Chase. Since Sweetie came to Adventure Bay to get vengeance on my team and stealing my beloved away from me. "Losing you all over again."

Chase's POV

My chest grew heavy as the guilt developed exceedingly. All of this was my fault. If only I hadn't been reckless enough to go after that stupid van and just remained in my cruiser. But they got away with the artifacts because I wasn't fast enough. And if I hadn't been injured at the time Sweetie arrived in the scene, we would have handled her no problem. And she and that mutt, Beast, wouldn't have gotten away. But most significantly, I wish I hadn't become distant from the only girl I've ever loved since the beginning of time. Skye is a crucial part of me now. But I let her slip from my grasp, losing her almost eternally. And nothing hurts more than losing someone you truly, deep down, love with all your heart.

But here I am. Staring down at her drop-dead georgeous magenta eyes, holding her in my arms. Life gave me a second chance just as I thought I was gone for good. That I'd never see that bright teethy smile of hers again, and her bubbly personality. I would give anything to play nose-tag with her again, her ears flapping behind her in the wind, to watch another sunset with her next to me, even if it's just for a second. To turn back time and share those memories when we were free and alive.