Ch. 11: Turn of the Tables

Marshall's POV

I can't seem to focus today at all. And it's probably the most important mission we've ever had and now my mind starts to wonder out to space? Rocky had to grapple my attention like five times before I finally slapped myself awake. That was necessary but better than pouring water on my face. I know Rocky would agree. He hates water, specifically getting wet.

I'm not as angry as Skye for loosing our grip on Chase, but I am pretty upset. Actually, VERY upset. Maybe that's why I'm out of focus. How would you feel if the adversary of your whole team just snatched your best friend? Right? It absolutely hurts! Yeah, no shi—uh, I mean—no kidding! That's how roiled up I am right now. I can't stand the thought of seeing anything happening to Chase. For all I know, he could be dead by now! I just feel like I failed my own brother.

Agh! No! Stop! I can't think that way! He's your best friend! He wouldn't want you to give up without even trying!

"Uh, Marshall? Oh my god. Are you okay?" Rocky stepped forward to face me from the side.

My thoughts were cut off and when I looked at him, he was blurred out and disoriented. I think there's something wrong with my eyes.

Oh, never mind. I was just tears. Had I been crying whole time? Because my eyes feel swollen and burned up.

I blinked them away and I can see clearly again. But the cold breeze of the might made me want to cry again. I wish I had worn a warmer clothing.

"Y-Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I lied to him shakily.

Rocky placed an arm around my neck, warming me up a bit. "There's no need to worry. We'll find him. Turn that frown upside down. Or I'll have to flip ya around."

I felt a smile play on my face. If Chase wasn't here, Rocky was always the second best at making me smile. Or even laugh.

"Don't make me hang from a tree again. I'm not Tracker." I laughed along with him.

"Did someone call me?"

Two figures brushed through the bushes with big smiles on their faces. It was Tracker and Carlos!

"Tracker! Carlos!" Rocky and I exclaimed in delight.

I ran over to the pair and gave Tracker a tight embrace. "Boy, are we glad to see you guys."

"Mismo aquí!" Tracker replied in spanish. "Same here!"

Carlos bent down on one knee and scratched me and Rocky's heads. "We could use some more company too."

"We tried to search in the are we usually ventured, but no sign of Chase. Lo siento." Tracker apologized, his ears drooping.

Rocky gave him a warm smile. "No need to say sorry, Tracker. We're just glad that you guys took part in the search."

"It's the least we can do for you guys. After all, you've done so much for us." Carlos said with a gleeful smile."

I feel better already. Looks like Rocky doesn't have to hang me from my feet on a tree.

"Ryder said we'd have to meet you here." said Tracker.

"M-hm." Rocky nodded approvingly. "I sure hope Ryder and Skye or the other teams have caught up on something. Because I know we haven't."

I sighed a little too despondently. I just feel like all hope is lost to find Chase. Maybe that white flash I saw here in the woods was just my mind playing around, sending false information that I ever saw Sweetie here.