And So It Begins

Alison 

"Docking sequence complete. Proceed to Area 42."

"Thank you, Iris. Crew, welcome to th-

" Yeah, yeah, we know its the Alien Lab." Alison marched forward, clearly annoyed. The leader despised dramatic introductions, especially from Professor Kontos. The crew members followed, admiring the amazing infrastructure. They'd never been this close to the Earth's core before.

The Xenoarchaeology laboratory is located at the very depths of the Mariana Trench at the Challenger Deep, built a long time ago, in 2080

The Xenoarchaeology laboratory is located at the very depths of the Mariana Trench at the Challenger Deep, built a long time ago, in 2080. The lab - the only Xeno lab in the solar system - functions as an area for observing extraterrestrial activity, test alien species, as well as a shelter against ET invasions. Earth was already exposed to attacks since 2079 - they were caught off-guard but eventually depleted the Martian army, prevented the Azula invasion, and more. But this time, they knew it was gonna be the final wave.

Something big was coming.

Several years ago, Earth received a strange message from an unknown being: 

"Humans, nothing but a waste of oxygen and matter. You have survived and thrived and flourished for far too long. You have gone past your time of existence. It is a waste that I call you. Why, you question? You are of use to no one and nothing in this galaxy. You were given all the resources imaginable to exist, and yet, you misused them. You killed. You wasted. You destroyed.

That is the very reason that I and my people have decided to exterminate you and your wasteland.

Since my fellow acquaintances have failed in their past invasions, we have decided to take matters into our own hands.

Earth was deemed to be our planet - our kingdom. Yet it became yours because you advanced to Earth a few years earlier than us. And we believe that what is not ours must not exist. There can be no being powerful than I, Kaguya - Creator of the Sun of Infinity. Thus, you need to be eradicated.

I am civil, hence I am addressing this message to you, apprising you to prepare for warfare. Great Legions from the neighboring galaxies have failed to defeat me and my people, even with years of preparation. I shall proffer you a headstart to prepare. Be ready by 2200.

We are coming."

_

Alison stared at her watch. It read "11.30, Year: 2200". She knew they could arrive here at any moment now. Her heart skipped a beat, only now coming to a realization that they're so close to losing their planet, their home, and she felt the magnitude of the responsibility placed on her shoulders as the Leader of The Interceptors. She gasped.

"Woah, are you okay there, Ali?" It was Arthur who asked her.

I'm fine, Art, just spaced out."

"Oh, you don't say." Arthur grinned. He had his share of witty remarks and could always make people smile in the gloomiest and darkest of times.

Alison smirked as Arthur's trademark Cheshire smile played across his lips. She was grateful for having him on the crew. She couldn't have asked for a better group of people to join hands and kick alien butt. 

Arthur

Hope she's okay, he thought. It almost felt like a stab to see Alison, the ever-strong and bold Alison, to space out like that. It was written all over her face - Fear. Arthur knew what fear felt like, and what it can do. After that one day which left him scarred for eternity, he decided to never show his fear to a single soul on earth, in the solar system, or any universe. 

Arthur leaped onto the odd little symbol on the floor.

"It's Urisa - a symbol of hope - hope against the evil force of darkness that is raging forward to ambush the whole world." Professor's words caught Arthur off-guard for a second. Fear crept up his spine ever so slightly.

They're just another entity of the alien-verse. Right?

He has to deny it. He can't fear the evil entity's arrival. He just can't. Being a member of the Interceptors, he can't afford to be deathly appalled at the thought of the entity invading Earth.

Or at least, what is left of it.

He remembered the message. Who is Kaguya? Which planet is Kaguya from? These questions left dread and panic in every human. Since the message was intercepted, people went absurd. The rate of suicides had spiked since that year, and all of them had been for the same reason - "We'd rather die now than die in the hands of Kaguya, whoever that may be. We don't want to live till Year: 2200." Only a few were brave enough to live till today.

He stood staring at the symbol.

What hope can I possibly have to fight them?

He noticed his limbs shake.

No. I can't let Alison see me like this. I can't let everyone on Earth down. I can't let Them invade Earth.

While the word "hope" was still hanging in the air, he shook off the fear, wore his mask of bravery, and joined the rest of the crew.

Alison

What is wrong with Arthur?

She noticed how strange he behaved - how he looked as if he was about to fall - fall into a pit of empty nothing. She noticed how grave his face was when he glanced at the symbol. She watched him and quickly turned when she saw him approach the rest of the crew.

I can see right through your act of bravery, Arthur.

She knew he is afraid. Afraid to face Them.

Afraid of the future of war that awaits.

As she stood and worried, wondering how to help him get rid of his anxiety, the floor shook.

"Guys, you felt that?" Kiera said. Her voice was a dreadful whisper.

"Hold on guys it's probably-"

She was interrupted by something that hit the lab so hard, leaving a crack on the lab's bulletproof fiberglass wall. Water immediately leaked through the wall. The lab techs and the crew were flung to the other side of the wall. Alison's head had thoughts running through it, deductions being made. She very well knew what has happened, and who's responsible for the hit.

"Interceptors, get ready. It's time."