After my encounter with Amy outside, I came in and tried to collect myself and my thoughts as best and as quickly as I could. I drafted a resignation letter, and have prepared myself for the worst of it.

The way I look at it, Lexi is eighteen. She was already eighteen when our relationship became sexual. I was never that stupid.

My phone rings and I see the principal of the school's name pop up. My heart throbs in my chest, and I proceed with caution.

"He-hello?" My voice is soft and shaky at first, but I quickly correct it.

"Evan, I need to speak with you. It is urgent." His voice is deep and cleary frustrated.

I swallow and tap my nail on the counter nervously, "of course, sir."

"I take it you already know what this call is concerning?" He questions.

I swallow my pride and nod as I speak, "yes, I do. And I accept full responsibility for my actions, sir. I have my resignation letter in hand and-"

"What were you thinking, Mrs. Copeland?"

I bite my cheek and close my eyes. What was I thinking? I was thinking about how my husband was a piece of shit, and along came Lexi. She made me feel so important, so desired. That's all I wanted in that moment. I was thinking about how good it felt to be touched, to be seen, to be heard. That is what I was thinking.

"I wish I had an answer for you, sir. It was a mistake on my part and I deeply..." my voice trails off, "regret my actions and their timing." I lie. Regretful is not at all how I would describe my feelings about the situation.

"Now Evan, I've never had a problem out of you. You've been a phenomenal asset to our school, the students and other staff love you; however, this is a matter that I cannot overlook. Sleeping with a minor is punishable by-"

"Please sir, let me stop you there. I never slept with a minor. Alexis was over the age of eighteen when our physical relationship began, sir. I never would have crossed that line if that was the case. Not that it makes my actions any more acceptable..."

"That softens the blow a bit, but unfortunately there are still severe consequences in this situation." He speaks over me and I bite my cheek. His pause makes me anxious. "Due to the terrible timing and overall obscurity of this situation, I will accept your resignation rather than terminate you for misconduct. Your record will show no reflection of the behavior that has come to light today, but you no longer have a place teaching at my school." He says, making my chest lighten a bit. Out of a job, but clear of prison? I'll gladly take that outcome.

I know I'm still in deep shit, but at least it won't follow me.

"Thank you, sir. I sincerely apologize for all of this." I mutter. I hesitate but take a deep breath and ask my question. "Since graduation is in a few hours and I am responsible for reading the names, will you be able to replace me in the ceremony?"

The line is quiet for several seconds, so I take a chance and speak again.

"Sir, I know this is a big ask of me... given the circumstances. Would you allow me to participate in the ceremony this evening? Reading the names? I'll go on my way immediately following the ceremony." I hold my breath while I wait for his response.