Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Yugi heard the sound of the alarm from the rooftop of one of the buildings a few miles away.

“No doubt they are coming after us.” Nova said.

“They won’t make it a mile.” Yugi stated as he saw that it was turning dark, and the shadows of demons and vampires were visible a few blocks away.

“Unless they bring some of the demons with them you are right.” Nova took out a small dagger and tossed it to Yugi. “I doubt they would do that though.”

Yugi caught it and just stared at it, wondering what to do with it. The dagger didn’t look like it would do any good trying to use it to kill anything. It wasn’t even silver, which would make it useful to kill werewolves.

“There is a tracking device in the bottom of your foot. Get it out.” Nova said and jumped over the edge of the building, landing on the ground below. “I’ll be back.” He yelled and took off through the streets.

Yugi had never gotten injured on purpose, and he had never heard any other Slayers mention a tracking device in their foot. Yugi had sat down and was trying to decide how he would do this. He didn’t even know where they device would be. Looking closer, he saw a little blue flashing light just barely reaching through the skin.

“Oh Ra this is going to be painful.” Yugi barely said as he started to pierce the dagger through the skin.

XXXXXXX

Yami was walking through the streets, trying to figure out why the alarm at the APFH Headquarters had gone off. He tried prying himself into Yugi’s mind, but he was not successful.

“Two Slayers escaped.” Phoebe said. There was no reason for either to stay with Phoenix. Her powers had basically been rendered useless.

Yami’s head snapped up and he heard someone running towards them. All of a sudden, the sound stopped.

“Someone is following us. It is human.” Yami said and started walking down the street, trying to find the source of the noise.

He didn’t make it too far before Phoebe screamed and Yami turned and saw a Slayer standing there, a dagger at Phoebe’s throat. The Slayer had her from behind and looked ready to kill her.

“What have you done to Slayer Phoenix?” The Slayer said.

“And who may you be?” Yami asked.

“Ask your friend here. She knows.” The Slayer said.

“Damn you Nova!” Phoebe yelled and tried to get free but couldn’t.

“Tell me where Phoenix is or I will kill her.” Nova said.

“You are willing to kill your own daughter to find someone who doesn’t even want you?” Yami saw that one of the demons was looking at Nova and Yami was hoping that it would attack him so Phoebe could get away.

“If that is what it takes.”

“Well I must say that both Phoenix and Phoebe are exceptionally beautiful.” Yami said, trying to stall for time. “It would be a shame that both of them would die.”

“What do you mean?” Nova asked.

“Touch one hair on her head and Phoenix’s life gets snapped.” Yami smirked. “I’m not just a master vampire. I was once a very powerful person with exceptionally powerful abilities.”

It took nothing else to be said. Nova let go of Phoebe, and the demon behind him took the chance to attack him.

Yami grabbed Phoebe and both of them ran back to the Zoha Sector to see if Phoenix was at least trying to escape. They had left her alone long enough.

XXXXXXX

Yugi had managed to stop the bleeding from his foot, and it was painful to walk on it. The tracking device had been deeply imbedded in his foot, much farther in than it should have been. It had been a round device, with multiple cords that had seemed to hook it in his foot. It had been a tough thing to do, trying to get all of it out, but he had finally done it after about an hour.

He looked at the device again, and it was still glowing. He placed it on the ground and ran the dagger through it, shattering it. Yugi laid his head back on the concrete, listening to the now fading alarm from the Headquarters. Other noises, such as the scrapping sound of a demon’s claws against the ground below, seemed far away. He knew he shouldn’t let his eyes close, but he about did, and then Nova landed back on the rooftop.

Nova was covered in the black blood of a minor demon. His clothes were ripped in several places, and he collapsed onto the rooftop.

“What happened?” Yugi asked, not trying to get up.

“I ran into that vampire and Phoebe.” Nova said between breaths.

“And?”

“There seems to be some kind of binding between Phoebe and Phoenix that permits us from causing harm to one, unless we want the other to die.”

“Seems complicated.”

“It is.” Nova looked over at Yugi lying there. “You got the device out?”

Yugi shook his head. He tried to sit up, but pure exhaustion just kept him down. Nova seemed as if he didn’t want to get up either.

“Maybe we should just stay here tonight.” Yugi said just loud enough so Nova would hear him.

‘Yes little one…. You must rest… I want you at the top of your performance when I run into you again….’

“Oh not this again!” Yugi yelled. He put his hands against his head and shut his eyes, trying to block the voice. He knew he had yelled that too loud, because he heard a few of the things in the street below stop and hiss.

“We have to go now.” Nova said, jumping up and grabbing his bag of weapons. Yugi nodded, jumping up, and grabbed his own bag.

“Where do we go?” Yugi asked. Both Nova and Yugi looked over the far side of the building and saw dark shadows climbing up the side.

“Anywhere but here.”