We talk a bit about nothing interesting in particular, but I'm soon filled with an urge to know everything he talked about with my therapist.

"So, why did she say that?" I suddenly ask.

"Why did she say what?" He says, swallowing a fork full of spaghetti. Gross.

"What she said."

He seems to think a bit, then talks:

"Dude, chill, she just told me not to skip class again."

"What? But we're in Uni, professors don't care about that shit."

Kyle seems taken aback, his eyes flickering from side to side, avoiding mine.

"You're lying aren't you?", I ask casually, while looking around in the cafeteria. It is getting crowded, and Kyle and I are having trouble hearing each other. I spot some girl I seat next to in my Anatomy lecture, and she waves at me.

I wave back.

"Why, then?"

He blushes, but changes the subject.

"You know, you should be a therapist. You're good at reading people."

"Am not. You're just being too obvious."

"You know how she told me to 'not let it happen again'? I know you heard, you were, once again, undressing her with your eyes."

I roll my eyes, ready to protest when Kyle interrupts me.

"Well, anyways, she wasn't talking about me being absent or whatever. Or about you being drunk and miserable. She was talking about me leaving you when you were drunk and miserable. Jonah's party. You know."

To be honest, I didn't expect that. She was being very.. protective.

So she isn't mad I woke her up in the middle of the night, with some sort of weird mix of a booty call and taxi reservation. She is mad at my friend for leaving me alone. And I know her for a week.

I finish my fries silently, deep in my thoughts.

***

Unlike what we planned the day before, I choose to go out to the gay bar this evening. Kyle, of course, agrees with a lot of unnecessary squeals. He agrees because he's glad to go, but also because he's glad to help me out. Going out helps me forgetting about the woman, her protectiveness, her caring ways, her hotness and the embarrassment I always feel around her.

I want to be in control of my body, this evening. Unlike whenever I'm around her.

And unlike what I thought, I don't bump into my therapist the whole evening. And going home, I realize I'm stupid, because there's like a 10% chance she is gay, or just part of the LGBTQ+ community in general.

Going home, I think about this amazing evening. This evening that felt like a parachute jump in my life.

I was nervous, and I still am.

Looking at her, I remember how scared I was to just enter the place.

The place was not very loud, or obvious. Kyle knew it, as he comes here often, so when we opened a fairly narrow and squeaking wooden door in an empty street, I remember wondering where the hell he was taking me.

We had gone down a couple of stairs, a dark corridor smelling like humidity, and behind a heavy velvet curtain, there it was.

It was a completely different world. The atmosphere was smoky, even though smoking was not allowed. It was crowded. I saw a dark skinned girl with a beautiful afro, singing with a guitar on some sort of improvised stage, made of an old-looking wooden platform. Her voice was smooth and husky at the same time, completing perfectly the ambience of the room.