THIRTY THREE

tyler walked into school the next day with his head hung low. he didn't get much sleep last night and he wasn't going to even come to school today, but he had practice and there's no way his parents would ever let him miss it without a valid reason. with that being said, he walked by his locker and sighed.

out of the corner of his eye he saw jenna standing by the stairs and he decided to walk over to her. one of the many things that kept him up at night was the fear that jenna was going to tell everyone. of course tyler knew that jenna isn't that kind of person, but that didn't stop him from being worried.

when he walked up to her, she looked up at him quickly before starting to walk away. tyler grabbed her arm gently to keep her from leaving.

"please don't tell anyone about me being gay." tyler begged.

jenna frowned. "even though I hate you I wouldn't do that. I won't tell anyone." she answered honestly.

"y-you hate me?" tyler asked, voice cracking.

"you made me feel like I was the only girl in the world, and it was all a lie. I gave myself to you and the worst part of that is, is you weren't into it 100% and that makes me feel like shit. it makes me feel like I took advantage of you and I don't like that." she admitted to her now ex-boyfriend.

"Jenna you didn't take ad—" he started before jenna spoke over him.

"whatever. it's done. let's just forget this all ever happened." she said promptly before walking away from him.

the bell started to ring before he could process anything and he walked to science. he had that class with josh and he was honestly really scared to walk in. when he did, he noticed that josh had headphones in and that he did not once look up at tyler. it was like he suddenly didn't exist to him anymore and that made tyler's heart crumble. it's so hard when you talk to a person everyday and then they just suddenly pretend you don't exist anymore and it was even worse when you knew you were the cause if it.

tyler knew this was going to be a long day.

just as he expected, the school day seemed to drag on and now he had to go to basketball practice, which he really did not want to do. he had a tournament tomorrow and josh was supposed to go. now he wasn't really looking forward to it.

as he was walking to the lockeroom, brendon had came up to him.

"tyler why didn't you tell me?" he whispered so no one would hear.

he was confused for a second before his eyes widened with realization. "how did you find out?" he asked him.

"darren told me what happened. I saw him walk back in the school yesterday without josh so I questioned him." brendon admitted.

"you know you can always come to me ty. why did you do all that stuff?" he pestered.

"I don't want to talk about it." tyler answered while started to walk away.

"tyler—" brendon started before tyler snapped.

"I said I don't want to talk about it! can you please leave me alone?" he hissed before taking off towards the lockeroom.

after he got changed into his practice clothes, he walked out onto the court where his other teammates were warming up. he grabbed a ball and dribbled for a second before shooting it and missing it.

"fuck!" he whispered as he tried again. his coach came up to him and pulled him aside.

"is everything good tyler?" he asked in concern.

tyler waved it off. "yeah i'm just tired. i'll be okay."

once practice was over, tyler stayed a while longer because he didn't do very good today and that bothered him. he knew he could do better.

as he was shooting baskets from the free throw line, he saw darren leaned against the door looking at tyler. when they made eye contact, darren motioned with his head towards the stairs outside. tyler quickly put the ball up and followed him.

when they got out there. they both sat on the steps and it was quiet before tyler couldn't handle it anymore and blurted it out.

"how is he?" tyler whispered.

"horrible. I don't think i've ever seen him so sad before. he was crying so hard on me he started screaming. I never knew something like this could affect him the way it has. he has officially shut everyone out." darren replied to him.

a tear fell down tyler's face as he listened to darren. he felt so guilty and felt so bad. he quickly wiped it and sniffled.

"am I a bad person?"

darren sighed and shook his head. "no tyler. you did really awful things, but you aren't a bad person." he answered honestly.

tyler shook his head as he continued crying. "It really doesn't feel like that right now," he paused to wipe a tear.

"I screwed up things with jenna who is the absolute best person I know and screwed things up with the best thing that has happened to me in my shitty life all because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. he made me feel like I could breathe and seeing them cry and knowing I was the cause of it makes me feel horrible." he admitted.

darren turns towards tyler and gave him a reassurance squeeze. "I know josh still cares about you and same with jenna. you really messed things up and you need to fix it, but you need to give them some time. i'm sure they both don't feel too great right now."

tyler nodded his head slightly and pulled darren into a hug, a few tears fell onto his shirt. "thank you for not beating me up." he whispered into his chest.

darren let out a dry laugh and shook his head. "believe me I wanted to after seeing josh cry like that."

"I would've let you done it. I deserve it." he admitted while he wiped his nose.

the two sat in silence for a while before tyler spoke up one more time. "i'm going to make this right with him. I promise." tyler swore while looking directly into darren's eyes.

"I believe you."