TWENTY SIX

to clarify: its like middle march rn to go with the timeline. the hoco was a winter hoco just to let everyone know!!!

josh and his friends were sitting at the lunch table on a friday afternoon. he was eating a chicken nugget when hayley reached over and grabbed one.

"thanks." she said while popping it into her mouth.

josh rolled his eyes. "you are so annoying you have your own nuggets right there."

"you love me." she replied.

"not really." he said which resulted in hayley flipping him off.

they all continued to eat while making conversation.

"are y'all going to the game tonight?" mia asked everyone while she laid her head on darren's shoulder.

"varsity or jv?"

"varsity."

"i'm down." hayley answered. josh nodded his head.

"me too. maybe we can all do something after. I can ask ty if him and brendon wanna come." josh added while he pulled out his phone.

"ty? y'all good like that now?" hayley asked him.

josh blushed slightly but didn't respond as he started to text tyler.

josh: are you busy after your game tonight?

"—yeah josh and tyler are like besties now." josh heard darren say.

when josh looked up, his face was bright red and he scoffed. "shut uuuup." he whined.

if only they actually knew.

his phone buzzed and saw that tyler replied to him.

tyler: why? you tryna fuck? ;)

he let out a snort as he began typing.

josh: negative. no but rly do u and brendon wanna hang out with all of us after?

tyler: yes duhhhhh. are you gonna be at the game?

josh: mhm.

tyler: :,). can't wait to see you.

josh tried to ignore the way his heart soared at tyler's text. he knew that he was getting in way too deep with whatever him and tyler had going on. he had just hoped tyler felt the same way as him.

after rereading over that text, he locked his phone and put it down.

"tyler and brendon will come with us." he announced to the group as he took a drink of his water.

"okay bet," darren replied before pulling something out of his pocket.

"brendon let me borrow his dab pen, y'all wanna go outside and hit it really quick?" darren asked with a smirk.

hayley grabbed it from him. "I have statistics next hour and I need this to be able to fall asleep, so thanks."

josh rolled his eyes before they all got up from the table. "this is why your dumbass is failing that class."

as josh and his friends walked passed tyler's table, josh gave him a small blushful smile before walking out the double doors that led to the courtyard.

hayley had come home with josh after school. the game started at 7 and it was currently 6:30. josh was in mid panic mode because he "had nothing to wear."

"josh why is it such a big deal? just wear what you have on." hayley groaned as she played with abbie's hair.

"because hayley—I just have to, okay?" he sighed as he looked through his closet again.

hayley smirked and got off his bed. "does this have anything to do with the basketball player who is playing tonight?" she asked wiggling her eyebrows.

"what? n-no, hayley please help me." he stuttered out.

hayley let out a laugh and rolled her eyes. "you are such a girl oh my God."

after josh had finally found an outfit, he grabbed his wallet and said goodbye to his family before getting into hayley's car and driving to the school. once they got there, they found darren and mia.

"what took you guys so long? the game is about to start." mia asked them.

"miss diva over here couldn't find an outfit." hayley replied to her.

josh scoffed and playfully pushed her before they walked in the school. they quickly payed to get in and grabbed some snacks at the concession stand before finding a spot on the bleachers.

the team was playing a private school tonight, and josh had heard that they were really good. he had hoped that their team would win tonight and he knew that will. they had tyler, and tyler was the best basketball player josh knew.

the buzzer rang which meant the game was starting. josh saw tyler run out and he sent him a supportive wave. tyler saw and patted his heart before he turned his attention back to the game.

josh smiled to himself. he heart was so happy right now and he knew nothing could ruin it.

during the first quarter, brendon had come to sit next to them. when he sat down, josh scrunched up his nose.

"why must you always smell like dank?" he asked him. brendon sent him a wink and shrugged his shoulders.

"tyler's doing so good." josh noticed while beaming.

"uh huh of course you think that." darren teased. josh turned around and hit him.

"if you don't leave me alone—" josh started as he hit him again.

darren let out a laugh as he rubbed his arm. "you're such a bully."

josh smiled and turned around and focused back on the game. out of the corner of his eye, he saw jenna cheering loudly for tyler. he didn't think nothing of it though, because couples can still be friends after they break up, right?

the game finally ended with their teaming winning by 8 points. tyler had scored the final two points and josh couldn't wait to tell him how proud he was of him.

they all waited by the entrance of the gym for tyler to get changed in the lockeroom. once he came back, he smiled at josh.

"hey." he said smiling at tyler.

"you did so good bro." darren said to him.

"thank you guys for coming, it means a lot." he admitted shyly.

"well duh of course. we were thinking about going to get ice cream and then going to the arcade."

"sounds fun, let's go."