4. One-Way Ticket To Hell

Start from the beginning

I was wiping my favorite gray cloth over the counter when the bell crinkled on the door as it was pushed open, and the king himself stepped inside the briefly empty diner. He wore denim jeans a white v-neck, his hair messy unlike yesterday when it was styled back.

The soft breeze followed him inside, warming my skin.

Immediately, the few customers in the diner offered him beaming smiles and a man yelled, "Good luck with the game today. You're going to do great, son!"

He smiled back to all of them and I wondered what his real smile looked like. I hadn't seen it since we played together in the sandbox in first grade. I wonder if anybody else could see the fatigue hidden across his face and the pressure he was carrying on his shoulders like heavy rocks. 

His (fake) smile faltered when our eyes met.

"Northwood. What's up?" I smiled as he approached the counter and jumped up on one of the barstools across from me.

He ran a hand through his hair. "We need to talk, but first I need a fucking strong coffee."

I propped my elbows on the counter and leaned closer. "Looks more like you need a one-way ticket to paradise."

He slapped a hundred dollar bill on the counter between us.

"Give me one to hell and you can keep the change," he retorted, quickly enough to not let those word process his mind before he let them out of his mouth.

I smiled, showing my teeth and all.

Nathan groaned. "Fuck."

He was being real with me. This started out easier than I thought. I guess those group therapy sessions with Mr. Standall, the school counselor, did do something to his mental health.

My dad always said, it is a very valuable thing to see that others struggle too.

I guess seeing how much Maya, Bree, Cayden, Heaven and Owen struggled, helped him realize his own darkness. I freakin' admired all of them and especially Mr. Standall for that.

"I'm pretty sure you're already in hell. What could be a bigger hell than being surrounded by people who only expect constant perfection from you?" I said.

Ignoring me, Nathan ran his both hands through his hair, making it stick out in random directions. "I stayed up all thinking about you-"

"Me? Oh, wow. I knew I was dreamy but I didn't know I was that dreamy." I put a flattered hand to my chest.

Jaw ticking, Nathan gave me an annoyed look.

"I was going to say that I stayed up all night thinking about you getting me drunk on a tree yesterday-"

"-Hold up. Excuse me? I did not get you drunk up there. I dared you to come up, not to drink with me. You could've said no to that beer."

Nathan opened his mouth to say something but closed it again. Did I just zip shut Nathan Northwood's mouth? Wow, I was so good at this.

"Just make me two iced coffees," he muttered.

"Two?"