Chapter Thirteen

***

You felt depressed throughout Lessons 5 and 6. English and Maths were never fun, but you felt even worse as you couldn't help reflecting over what had happened between you and Shoto. Shoto didn't look at you once throughout the lesson - you avoided making eye contact with him. The time dragged by, until finally you reached the end of the day. Ochaco looked at you as she passed by.

"(Y/N), you were really quiet in class today. Is everything okay?"

You nodded, trying to keep your regular calm demeanour. Ochaco knew that you were not okay, but she couldn't pry - she'd broken down your walls and was on friendly terms with you now, and she didn't want you to build them up again. She could already see the shutters closing in your (E/C) orbs.

"O-okay then... Well, why don't we go get some hot chocolate at the cafe?"

You thought deeply. It would be relaxing for you maybe, taking your mind off your sudden problem. 

"That's a good idea, Ochaco. I think I could use that. But it's on me."

You smiled. You were aware of Ochaco's financial situation - you, in comparison, had an allowance from Endeavour's hero agency. It was part of the deal - if you went to the boarding school and entered the arranged marriage with Shoto, you would have a stable future and a large sum of money. It would have worked perfectly if your mother was still with you.

You shook your head, getting rid of the dark thoughts. You two walked up to the cafe. It was a sweet little area - the lady in the shop was kind to you, and seemed to know Ochaco. Ochaco blushed as she ordered the hot chocolates.

"Hey (Y/N), do you want any marshmallows? (Y/N)!"

You, however, were distracted. You had sadness in your eyes as you watched Shoto walk out of the school. You felt a gentle blush on your cheeks, but the blissful feeling of love was drowned out by the sadness of your earlier conversation. You turned to Ochaco, realising she was calling you.

"(Y/N)!"

"Oh... Yes, I'd love some."

You threw her your purse, before returning to the window. Shoto was now gone. The two of you sat, talking quietly in the cafe. Half an hour later, you heard the bell chime. You turned to see Midoriya enter the shop.

"Oh! Ochaco, (Y/N), I didn't mean to interrupt you!"

He bowed and stood up very quickly. You smiled. You would be doing Ochaco a favour if you left... You waved your hand at him. 

"It's okay Midoriya. I was just about to leave anyways - you two have fun. See you later."

You winked at Ochaco before leaving the cafe. You didn't feel like heading back to the dorms yet, so you decided to walk to the supermarket. The food in the dorms were nice, but today you just felt like eating some noodles. You wished you had brought a jacket as it was quite a cold day. You stepped in, browsing the choices. You had guiltily picked up some chocolate on the way. That's when you saw him - Shoto, looking handsome in a grey coat. He made eye contact with you.

He knew he needed to apologise to (Y/N)... But he couldn't bring himself to do it. He had noticed her picking up some chocolate earlier. Anyone else he wouldn't feel any guilt but this one girl... He just didn't feel right. That's when he made eye contact.

You had to say this to him. He needed to hear it.

"Shoto... This probably won't change your opinion. But you need friends to move forward. To get over your past mistakes... You can only get so far in life on your own. You want to be the best? Well, you have no hope without them. I never had friends, Shoto. Look where I am now. Forced into things to save my mother who I don't even have any more. If someone had been there for me, my life would've turned out okay. Don't you see, Shoto... friends will be there when you need them the most."

You felt tears build up on your eyes.

"Shoto, friends are everything. You don't- can't-"

You struggled to find the right words. It was at that moment you felt a warm embrace - you were now wrapped in Shoto's arms as you heard him say...

... I'm sorry.

***