Chapter XIV: Perry

Start from the beginning

I consider our options. Hitching a ride is free, but sketchy. The driver could be a serial killer for all we know. Taking a plane from Lima would be efficient, but I know for certain we couldn't afford it. After what happened, getting into another airplane isn't on the top of my "to do" list.

Buying a car would be my top choice, but gas would be an issue. With only $100, we could maybe make it 200 miles, or just barely out of the country.

"Hitching a ride is the most practical," I declare, causing Guad to smile. It's odd agreeing with him because I know he hates me. "It wouldn't cost as much as the others."

"Does anyone oppose?" Janis asks, looking excited. Everyone shakes their head no, confirming the plan.

Bob jumps up from the table, and sticks his arm in the air, as if he's Superman. "Guad Squad out!"

• • •

After 30 minutes of walking with your thumb up, you get some intense cramps. I know it sounds weak, but my thumb was not made for things like this.

"How much farther until we can stop?" Diana moans. "My thumb hurts."

"Until we get a ride," Bob says harshly. "How about we don't complain, okay?"

"How about we all be quiet?" Alice says. "Speaking right now brings us nothing beneficial-"

"Except for, I don't know, everything."

"Bob I am not arguing with you."

"But this is an argument!"

Something inside Alice snaps. "Aufhören! Ich bin müde von diesem Gespräch!"

"Deutsch!" Bob yells, and together they start whispering in German. Their form of entertainment is strange, but whatever floats their boats. I keep my eyes on the road, in wait of a car. There have only been a few that have driven by, but none of them pay any attention to us.

About five minutes later, a car drives by, and slows to a stop. We practically charge the car with relief and excitement.

The man says something that I don't understand; taking French is starting to show less and less benefits.

The car drives off again, as if it just wanted to mock us for being on our feet.

"What was that all about?" Diana asks before I get the chance.

Bob is speechless, and I'm starting to get worried about what is to come.

Guad speaks up, "He...he said there's more coming."

As if on cue, a large wave of cars comes up over a hill on the horizon. Before I know it, they start to fly past me. What? They're supposed to stop. We need one to stop.

"Why aren't they stopping?" Janis whispers. "Shouldn't they be stopping?"

Life seems to turn into an action movie. Bob takes off running after the cars, and we're all forced to follow; the reason for this is unclear to me. He flaps his arms like a bird trying to take flight, and I can't say I've seen anything that strange in awhile. Some of the drivers give him odd looks, but at least they're acknowledging his existence.

They're looking at him, I think. He's getting their attention.

"Guys, flap your arms like Bob!" I tell over the car engines. Most everyone is hesitant to the idea, but they eventually join in.

We run for about three minutes before another driver pays attention to us. He drives his rusting pick-up off the street and into a field about a hundred yards ahead.

"Yes!" Bob shouts excitedly, and the rest of us join in with laughter.

We reach the car, and the driver stands outside his car, smiling. Guad and Bob start talking to him in Spanish, and I can tell Janis is following along. The rest of us just catch our breath.

"He said he can give us a ride," Guad says, still winded. "He's going to Cruzeiro do Sul, Brazil, which is about 600 miles north of here."

"So we'll just get a new ride in Brazil?" Janis asks, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

"It's what we'll have to do," Bob says, and opens the passenger door. "Oh, and we're gonna have to double up. Guad and I are gonna take the front seats, and then four of you will have to squeeze into the back."

Diana opens the back door on the passengers side, and climbs in. I notice it's a bench seat, which will be a lot easier to fit four people on.

The twins motion for me to climb in next, so slide in as close to Diana as I can. Alice climbs in next, and then Janis. It's a tight fit, but we make it work.

Guad and Bob look uncomfortable in the front, but I think it's just the fact that they're sitting with a complete stranger.

A 600 mile car ride will take eight or nine hours, but that's without stops. The best way to pass the time will be to sleep, but I can tell sleep will not come.

I think the rest of the car has the same thought, because Diana rests her head on my shoulder, and Janis uses Alice's as her pillow. This is going to be a long car ride.

• • •

The first hour, I spend looking out the window and listening to the Spanish conversation in the front seat (not that I can understand it). I've noticed the driver has a tattoo on his neck; intricate lines make an overall circle.

Diana and Janis fell asleep what seems like ages ago, but to my knowledge, Alice is awake.

I grab Gabe the Great from my bag at my feet, and begin to read. This is much more entertaining that sitting and doing nothing, so it doesn't surprise me that another hour passes without notice.

It scares me when Alice rests her head on my shoulder, though it's not something I will object to.

"You reading or sleeping?" I whisper, not wanting to wake the other girls.

"I don't know," she whispers back. "I want to sleep, but I don't think I can."

"So let's read, then."

I hold the book between us, and we read together for about five minutes, but when I hear her breathing even out, I know she's asleep. My eyes sting from reading, since I haven't had time for "leisurely activities" lately.

I close my eyes, and sleep takes over.