Chapter 6

I knew I was in trouble the moment I heard John utter those dreadful words. "That'll be your brother Miss Ella."

For the past five minutes my brother has been scolding me, I should probably start listening because I was doing the next best thing, day dreaming.

" what could of happened, you had me very worried about you. Your the only family I have left and am not going to lose you so soon."

My heart broke a little when I heard him say that, he took our parents death very hard so I know if anything happened to me it'll break him.

"Charlie nothing was going to happen to me. I admit I lost tract of time but Jack was very sick and I was tending to him along with John."

"I wouldn't of have anything harm your sister while she was here. Albeit I told her she had to go home but she didn't listen."

"Hey! Way to throw me under the cart." John barked out a laugh and walked back inside to I assume check on Jack.

"Take one last look at Jack Ella cause your grounded," My brother said while turning and mounted his horse. I didn't argue because well I know I deserve it and Charlie is never going to change his mind. I reluctantly turned around and made my way back upstairs.

"Why the long face kiddo?" I knew he was going to laugh either way so I just straight up told him.

"Am grounded, I just came to tell you two goodbye."

"Yikes I didn't think he'd ground you. I taught he'll argue with you for a long while."

"Sorry kiddo I know you wanted to stay with Jack." I just looked at him because honestly I taught he was going to laugh, didn't know he could be this mature.

"Your being mature," I said while looking at him.

"Of course Kid am a grown man there's a time to laugh and a time to sympathize, and right now am sympathizing with you cause your grounded."

I just walked up to Jack and whispered for him to be alright and make a speedy recovery. Then I turned myself around and walked down the stairs.

"Bye John" I called out very loud because well am still a little immature."

"Bye Kiddo" I heard him say back loudly to me. I laughed quietly to myself and walked outside and mounted my horse to go back home.

Two Days Later......................

Jack's POV....

"So she stayed and took care of me until the doctor came?"

"Yup she did, hey I was here as well. There's something I need to tell you Jack."

"What is it? I said quietly.

"You were having a nightmare in your sleep," John said slowly, " You talked and Miss Ella and young Henry heard you."

"Shit!"

"That's not all that happened."

"What else could of happened, how long was I asleep?"

"Miss Ella now knows we were part of the war."

"John what else did you tell her?"

"Nothing else all she know is that we were part of the war that's it nothing else I promise. I wouldn't do that you, it's not my story to tell."

"Thanks John appreciate it. She's kinda out there for a young woman isn't she?" I asked quietly.

"Thats a good way to put it. I like Miss Ella, she's different and different is a really good thing."

"You like her in a courting way like her?" I said.

"What? No I don't like her like that, she's like a little sister to me."

"Oh okay."

"Wait, why are you asking me that Jack? You like her don't you." John said with a big grin on his face.

"I don't know her well enough to answer to that. What I can tell you is that I don't hate her company. Is just that I hate my voice and you know that.

"Jack buddy nothing's wrong with your voice, and if someone has to like you, they'll like your voice as well."

"What are you my own personal therapist?" I said with a smile on my face.

"No but I am your best friend and I want what's best for you so rest up buddy, she's grounded right now but am sure she'll come check on you soon."

I closed my eyes and for the first time in a long while I had a restful sleep because I know I had an angel looking out for me.

Ella's POV.............

Boring, that's what my life is turning out to be. I get up early in the morning cook breakfast for the ranch hands, fed the horses and clean there stables, come inside and clean even though the place is already clean. Make lunch and just wait out the day for it to start over the next day. Talk about boring. The more I sit here and think about it the more depressed I get. I am grounded, but I am only grounded for a specific thing. Yes you guessed it, Jack, am grounded and it just pertains to him. I can't go over to his ranch. I just hope he's okay.

Another shocking discovery was that Jack could talk albeit he has a very raspy and a hoarse like voice, he still can talk. I honestly taught he couldn't speak to begin with but that's his choice.  And they both were part of the war, that's another shocking thing. I heard stories from the war and those were things that kept you up at night. No wonder he was having a nightmare, must be scary.

"Ella what are you doing sitting there, find something to do." My brother said.

"Can I please just g-" I got stopped right there because my very smart brother knew what I was going to say before I even said it.

"No your not going anywhere Ella and I mean it. No more asking."

"But I just want to see how he's doing, he was really sick."

"Ella why do you care so much about a guy you've known for about a week?"

"If I didn't care that'll make me a bad person and I don't wanna be a bad person."

"Your still not going anywhere find something to do I need to get back to work."

I got up and started walking around the house because well I had nothing to do and I saw that the front yard could do with some flowers to make the place look more homey. I walked to the field where there were a lot of wild flowers and I picked a bunch and got to work in front the house. Finally I got something to do.