“Oh honey, I'm so sorry.” Manju aunty replied, hugging her tightly.

Aarushi swallowed, wiping her eyes. “Sorry I didn't come earlier.”

“It’s totally fine, honey, I understand.” Manju aunty smiled at her comfortingly, her own eyes glazed with tears. She’d been good friends with Aarushi’s dad. Aarushi cursed herself for not coming here sooner. She'd deserved to know about his death.

“Tell you what, I’ll go and whip up your favourite chocolate-butterscotch ice cream. It’ll be on me. A welcome back treat for you.” She smiled, standing up.

“Thank you, aunty.” Aarushi said, mustering up a small smile in return.

Manju aunty winked at her and made her way to the small workspace behind the counter. As she tinkered with the knobs and cones, Aarushi looked around the parlour. 

Her eyes fell to the couch by the glass window, the one she’d always shared with her dad. She smiled as she remembered all the times she’d savoured her favourite ice-cream with her favourite person.

She could almost see herself laughing at her dad, his moustache smeared with ice-cream. Her smile faltered as she realized that it had happened two years ago. The last time she’d come here with her dad.

A drop fell on her wrist. She hadn’t realized she’d started crying again. She wiped her eyes quickly and stood up. She had to do something before tumbling into full blown sobs.
She spotted a book lying on the counter and almost ran to it. Picking it up, she realized it was Sing You Home, by one of their favourite authors, Jodi Picoult.

She took a seat at one of the barstools that lined the counter and flipping the book open, started reading. It was what she always did to keep her mind from straying towards things she didn’t want to think about.

She’d barely finished the first chapter when Manju aunty returned, a large-sized cone of her favourite ice-cream in one hand and a package in the other.

“Aarushi, this is for you.” She said, placing the package on the counter before her.

Aarushi frowned, setting the book on the counter and picking up the package. She turned it over in her hand. There was no address or anything on either side. It was barely big enough to hold a small book. 

“What's this?” She asked, scraping the sticky tape with her nail, her curiosity taking over.

“Keep it in your bag, your ice-cream will melt. I’ll tell you while you eat.”

Aarushi nodded reluctantly, and walked over to her bag where she’d left it on the couch earlier. She carefully placed the package with her books and zipped the bag shut.

“Okay, tell me,” she said, resuming her seat on the barstool.

Manju aunty handed her the ice-cream and sighed.

“Om left this for you,” she explained.

“Dad?” Aarushi frowned. “Why would he give it to you if it was for me?"

“I don’t know honey. He came in one day, alone, and gave me the package. He said that there might be a day when you’d come here alone, and that I was to give it to you on that day.” Manju aunty whispered, her brows furrowed with worry.

Aarushi reeled back in her seat, shocked. Her dad had known she’d come here alone someday? He’d known that he was going to...die? But how? It had been an accident, right?

Aarushi’s lips moved wordlessly as she tried to figure out what to say. Suddenly, the air felt too thick. She had to get out...out of this room. She shot to her feet, ice-cream still in hand and backed away.

“I...I need to go. I’ll call you later.” She stumbled to the couch, pulling her bag on her shoulder.

“Bye sweety, take care.” Manju aunty said. Aarushi didn’t reply. 

She took a deep breath as she tumbled out the door. The chill wind soothed her heated skin. She leant against the shop’s side wall, panting. Realizing she still held the ice-cream she looked at it, the sight suddenly making her nauseous. She dropped it into the dustbin, her appetite gone.

Her dad had known he was going to die? Had he...had he killed himself? She closed her eyes, shuddering. Her sweet, caring, loving dad. He’d been happy, right? He wouldn’t kill himself...Would he?

How had he known then? Was someone threatening him? Had it been...a murder? But who would want to kill her dad? 

The package. That was the answer to all her questions. She had to see what was in there. But not here. She couldn’t have a breakdown here. This was a happy place. Their happy place.

She took a deep breath. She had to get home now.

As she turned around to head back to her bike, she heard something from the alley behind the shop. She paused. Had she really heard something?

Then she heard it again. It seemed like someone was arguing in whispers. 

Unexpectedly, she felt a deep urge to know what was going on. She walked deeper into the alley until she was at the bend. She peeked around the wall, looking for the source of the sound.

What she saw made her stumble back in surprise. Was she dreaming again?

~~~~

Hello there!

I hope you enjoy this chapter and will continue reading! I'll be posting new chapters every Monday and Friday.

Let me know what you think about it so far in the comments!

-Ankita.