Part 5 - This Will Never Be Normal

9am sound check was a killer after a heavy night!

Dex yawned as he followed Zach and CJ through the hotel lobby hoping that no one would recognize him, after less than two hours sleep and a huge amount of alcohol he was still drunk and looked far from his best! Luckily the lobby wasn't that busy, he pulled his cap down lower over his face and walked with his head down, bracing himself, he knew Mac was going to go mad at him but at least he wasn't going to get it as hard as Jesse was going to, he hadn't even made it out of bed for sound check, Dex thought being there would have at least won him a few points with Mac.

Mac and their security team were waiting at the front door

"Alright guys" he said as the band approached him
"Morning Mac" said Zach
"Hey" said CJ, Dex kept his head down
"Alright Dexter" said Mac, loudly, assuming he'd be suffering with a headache, knowing full well he'd been out drinking all night and was avoiding too much interaction.
"Yeah" replied Dex quietly
"What's that?" Teased Mac
"Yes! I'm alright" replied Dex a little louder, forced to glance at Mac.
Mac smiled, he wasn't going to give Dex a hard time he looked like he was suffering enough, Jesse on the other hand! Mac was going to let rip on him for missing lobby call.
"Guys get on the bus, I'm going to drag Jess out of his fucking bed" said Mac

The security team escorted the band outside to the bus. Ten minutes later Mac could be heard approaching the bus laying into Jesse, he stumbled up the steps into the bus to cheers and teasing from his band mates, followed closely by Mac who pretty much had to hold him up! He was still completely off his face, Dex wasn't even sure if that was only alcohol. He hoped for Jesse...and the bands sake that it was, but he had a bad feeling that it was something more. The bus sped away from the hotel heading for the venue, Dex' head was pounding. He always regretted a night out, he knew he wouldn't be at his best to perform tonight.

Sat staring blankly out of the bus window he got the feeling of de ja vu, he seemed to be spending his entire life on busses and planes at the moment when all he really wanted was to be back in England with Millie. He was desperate to take her to America to meet his family, he knew his mom would love her but between his relentless tour schedule and Millie's work commitments finding time to go was proving impossible!

Thinking of her, he pulled his phone from his pocket, still intoxicated his eyes couldn't focus on the screen and trying to concentrate made his throbbing head hurt even more, he couldn't text, instead he tapped the call button, pulling his sleeve down over the phone in an attempt to have some kind privacy. His heart began to race as he leant his head against the window and waited for the sweet sound of her voice.

She took a long time to answer

"Hello" came a familiar voice. Dex couldn't help but smile, he'd missed that voice, that accent. Her.

"Baby!" He gushed. His body instantly relaxed.

"Hey you" she replied, forgetting about the fact that she was supposed to be mad at him.

"Sorry I took ages to answer I've just come out of a design meeting" she explained

"Are you ok?" He asked

"Yeah.. Well. Kinda, I am but I'm all over the press here" she replied

"How come?" He asked, knowing they'd hardly spent any time together to do anything press-worthy!

"There's a huge picture of me on the cover of a magazine here and a big story inside about how we were secretly dating behind Lucie's back in Milan" Millie explained

"Ignore it baby, it's always totally made up, let it go over ya head" said Dex, totally un-phased by it, he was used to reading rubbish about himself all the time, it didn't get to him anymore.