10| Abbey Reynolds

Start from the beginning

      I pack my stuff back into my duffle as the bathroom door opens where Flynn walks out wearing jeans and a button up shirt with the sleeves to his elbows.

       I haven't seen him ditch his normal attire of a hoodie for a shirt that is somewhat formal- meaning he was taking today as serious as he could.

      It makes me question my own hair of jeans and graphic tee I settled for. It's his memorable moment, and my nightmare.

     "We can stop at a diner or cafe close by so I can buy you breakfast." I don't miss how he says to buy me breakfast, not the both of us. After he tucks his pyjama shorts in his suitcase, he walks towards the bed where I am currently sitting.

"As long as they have pancakes, I'll be happy." I don't avoid the proximity by making some excuse to stand and do something, or move away. It would make things awkward all because I can't hurt him.

I can never let him care enough just to be set up for my destruction. I killed his look alike that could be his brother. I should of just told him the day I met him to save the heartache, and made him another person to resent or hate me.

      His crooked grin appears on his face from my comment. "Only the best." His smile is contagious, no matter how hard I try to fight it.

      Although, it's not long before mine dies. Flynn's eyes move from staring into my own and they cast down to where my smile once was.

I begin to think making it awkward by standing up would of made things a lot less complicated. I promised myself I wouldn't let our friendship be anymore than that. I'm setting him up to be hurt, and it's selfish of me to let my feelings be the cause of that.

I'm guilty and embarrassed to be the reasoning of someone's death.

       I don't do anything until I realise he's ever so slightly leaning towards me, his eyes failing to meet mine.

      "Oh crap." I run a hand through my hair, and reach for my phone that is still on the bed side table. "I totally forgot to send my ancient history assignment in. It's due today."

     My excuse isn't exactly a lie- I do have an assignment to submit that is suppose to be submitted by tonight. "How do you have the file on your phone?"

     I look back up to his slight frown and eyebrows that are drawn together. "It's on my google drive." I answer and turn my phone off. "Remind me to send it later? We should go now if we want to get home in time."

        I put the assignment to rest because I know I can use it again later to dodge another bullet. Flynn shakes his head, snapping himself out of his previous state.

         He was going to kiss me, and I was going to let him if I hadn't managed to remind myself why we're sitting in a motel room near Sebastian's mother.