10| Abbey Reynolds

Start from the beginning

"Did you manage to sleep okay?" Flynn asks, referring to the failed attempts to fall asleep when he stayed at my house last week.

Before when I asked him to stay until I fell asleep, he ended up sleeping at the end of my bed curled into a ball. Mom had woken us both up when she welcomed herself into the room to wake me for breakfast, only to be greeted with the heartfelt gesture of Flynn's.

Last night was different to then.

"Do I need to sing you a lullaby tonight?" Flynn jokes when he walks out of the bathroom wearing a new pair of pants to wear to bed. He at least had the decency not to only wear his boxers to bed.

Although, he did only have the shorts on. There is no t-shirt in sight, which makes me force myself to keep my eyes trained to his face as I take deeper breaths.

I remind myself to focus. "Nope." I tear my eyes from him and grab the small orange bottle I was previously getting out. I flash it in his direction. "I got a refill a few days ago."

I had only just ran out of my sleeping pills when we ran into the four men that had ruined the town of Hamilton. It was just my luck for the poor timing.

"You didn't tell me it wasn't a one time thing." He frowns and sits on the bed with his legs stretched in front of him. "I shouldn't of made that jo-"

"It's okay." I reassure him. I was never offended by what he said, it was refreshing to have a break from the concept of my thoughts keeping me awake being negative. I liked trying to make the best out of it. "It's not something that's a huge deal. It's not like it's some big secret or something I'm sad over. Although- it would be nice to have the natural ability to fall asleep."

I take the cap off and grab one out, swallowing it with water so I would have at least thirty minutes to wait for it to kick him.

"Am I still allowed to have that lullaby though?"

Flynn rolls his eyes with a smile as he gets under the covers. "Nice try, Vi." I laugh at him and also get in the somewhat comfortable bed, trying to stay on my side as best as I can. "Not happening."

        "Yeah, the sleeping pill knocked me out like a light." I had wished I would sleep straight through today to avoid our plans, but sadly that's not the reality of them. I need ones that will keep me asleep for up to a day at a time to purposely avoid things.

       "At least you got enough sleep to have energy for today." It was as if we were thinking the same thing, with two different perspectives.

      None of this is logical. To me, at least. I would just confront my parents and save myself the hassle. I'm not sure why he prefers dragging me with him to carry out a full blown investigation.

    "Speaking of which, we have to leave soon if we want to get to her house before lunch time." Flynn says and pulls back the blankets. He gets out of bad and walks to his suitcase that's on the small round table.

      He doesn't bother to pull his pants up that now hang low on his hips, making his no-shirt situation worse for me. It's as if he's trying to show of that for someone who doesn't run, is still in impeccable shape.

     I bite my tongue and roll over on the bed to get my phone so I can message mom to reassure her that everything is okay. But it's not. I have to face Mrs Reynolds for the first time since her son was killed.

      Flynn takes the bathroom to shower and change, whereas I speed up from bed to change into my clothes before he finishes. I decided on waiting until I'm back in the comfort of my own bathroom to shower.