"What? Did you think people actually help random strangers out of the good of their hearts? Foolish girl," Brandon said, abruptly rising to his feet.

I couldn't focus on anything Brandon had to say and instead, replayed every single encounter between Dylan and I since the day we met. Thinking about it, it did seem strange that a random stranger would want to help you out free of charge.

There just weren't people like that in the world today.

"Well, this was fun but unfortunately I have to leave," Brandon said, giving me a once over before signalling for Caleb to follow him. "Dylan, drop her off in the cellar won't you?"

Without another word, Brandon left the room with Caleb on his tail. Dylan took a few hesitant steps towards me, as if he was scared I'd bite his head off. Little did he know, I had no energy left to even move a finger.

"Get up," Dylan said, his voice sounding small and timid. Not the usual confidence it held, maybe that was a lie as well.

I slowly got to my feet and followed Dylan out of the room, like a robot. I had shut out the world once again, and I had become the emotionless robot that had first stepped into Grey's Town.

We passed several wooden doors, some even missing a chunk or two. We turned a sharp corner and were met with a set of rickety wooden stairs which looked mere seconds away from giving out.

Dylan descended the stairs, each step creaking under his weight. I followed unsteadily, clutching the walls to steady myself. Each step we took brought us closer and closer to the dark hole at the bottom and away from the little light streaming in from the cracks in the wooden roof.

The smell of rotting wood and death was much stronger than before, and I had to hold my hand in front of my nose to block out the horrid smell. I contemplated making a run back up the steps but Dylan was probably faster, and if he didn't the stairs would probably collapse under my weight.

Once we reached the bottom, we were both completely shrouded in darkness. A warm, calloused hand wrapped around my wrist and tugged me along with them. I tried to pull away in disgust but Dylan's grip never loosened.

We walked on for several minutes in silence and I wondered how many times Dylan had been down here to have the way memorised without a source of light.

Probably the amount of times he's lied to you...

The thought left a sour taste in my mouth and tugged at the ache in my chest.

Dylan suddenly came to a stop making me bump into his back. I jumped back as if I was burnt and glared at Dylan's silhouette in the dark. I was momentarily blinded by the brightness of the light once Dylan flipped on a switch.

I surveyed my surroundings now that I could see. The room was bathed in an orange glow, and was bare except for a wardrobe. I didn't want to find out what it contained though.

Dylan released my hand and reached around me to close the door. We were now completely alone and for the first time, I felt unprotected in his presence.

Dylan scratched at the stubble that had grown on his chin and took a few steps away from me, as if I was the bad guy in this situation. Only now as I examined him under scrutiny, did I realize he looked like he hadn't slept in years.