Chapter 7: Unusual Discovery

Up early again, I'm making my way to the library on the next day, as I see a bunch of Erudite-scientists walking out of a laboratory, led by a known face; it's Jeanine Matthews, obviously annoyed by something. I wonder, if the scientists are the reason or something else, maybe bad experiment results. For the rest of the morning, I read some books about the topic, we would have in today's biology lesson; how photosynthesis is working and in the next lesson, we will try to build our own forests.
One hour later,I watch the sunset again, enjoying the silence of this little balcony, overlooking nearly the whole city, and if you wanted, you could see the fields, outside the fence, being crowded this early, with hard working Amity, taking care of the plants and being happy and friendly all the day.

Then I go take my breakfast, to officially start the day and learn some new things. I'm very excited on today since we will have our first Engineering lesson in the afternoon. Again, I sit next to Maya and Ruben and they are talking about their first lessons, as I decide to tell them from my sight in the early morning. „I did see an uncommon thing in today's early hours on my way to the library." They both stop talking and Maya asks:" What is it ? „ Ruben wants to know too so I say:" Well, I was walking towards the library to read a little about today's theme in Biology and I saw Jeanine walking out of a lab, looking very annoyed. " " Wait, you saw Jeanine ? ", Ruben asked,"What time was it ?" " Oh,I think about five o'clock. Why are you asking ?" "Because she normally does experiments a little later, at about six." " Did you stalk her or why do you know this, you nerd ?", Maya jokes and Ruben quickly defends hisself:" No ! Of course not. But my father works with her and since he does, he goes for work a little earlier, at about half past five." "Well, then she must do some secret things in there, wich need to stay hidden, working so early.", I think loud and the two nod, trying to figure what our leader is doing down there.

When it's time for our courses, we bring in our tablets and say goodbye to each other, promising to meet again at lunch to discuss this topic more.

In the lessons, I first could only think of my Discovery and why our leader would hide experiments, such important to recruit Erudite from other projects and working at a time, usually nobody's up. But soon I could concentrate again and listened carefully again, taking notes to repeat them later.

At lunch we meet and sit down in one corner of the dinning hall, in order to not be interrupted. We had started eating as Ruben asks:" So, what are your theories ?" Maya answers first:" I think, they're working on new technologies and no one should know of them before they're going to present it."
"Maybe a new weapon for Dauntless or another plant that was modified for Amity.", Ruben nods, but I thought of something different:" What if they're working on a new serum ? I've heard that they're starting to hunt down divergents and so they could be working on a serum to use at the initiation test, to prevent divergent pretending to be not." Both of them think for a while but Ruben suddenly says:"This is at the same time the best presumption and the scariest." "Watch out talking like this or someone will think you're divergent.",I warn but sadly he's right. „ I still don't know what's so bad about divergents.", Maya says and I answer:" They're not having aptitudes for only one faction but for more and so they can't be controlled by the system and that's what people are scared of." The rest of lunch we quietly eat ant then go back to our courses.

Today I've got my first lesson of Engineering and I'm super excited. I enter the room and sit down at my chair in the first row and soon the lesson starts. At first, our teacher tells a little about hisself and then we are asked to make a sketch of a simple desk lamp and I start with the base and continue with the arm and the holder for the light bulb. When we're finished, we're allowed to go and so I exit the room as one of the first people. The rest of the day we have some Physics and Chemistry again and then I've got time to repeat my notes. I go to bed early after a short dinner and some reading of Engineering books to improve a little. At the end of the day, I am very tired and fall asleep easily.