Chapter 13

Engela and I are half way through the last class of the day when we receive notes to head to Mrs. Chraist's room. We exit English without causing a disturbance and make our way to the office, careful not to attract to much attention to ourselves.

We quietly open the door and slip in. I can feel Engela's stress rising. She thinks we are in trouble. But I know better. Mrs. Chraist is one of those "save the best for last" people. This is good news.

"Please, sit down. Engela, its so good to have you back. Jason, good to see you again. Now, I want to talk to you about your coming back, make sure your comfortable. I would ask you how your absance was, but its apparent that it was not the most enjoyable adventure."

Engela blushes deeply." No ma'am, it was not."

"Well, you'll be pleased to hear, that the school will be pressing charges on Venessa because she called nine one one during a situation that did not require interference from the police. That counts as a prank call on the police."

Engela smiles like she just ran a marathon.

"Thank you, Mrs. Chraist. I feel better."

"That's my job Engela. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting to get to." Mrs. Chraist stands up promptly to leave. After a few seconds we get up and head to our lockers. Only a few minutes remain in the day. With my arm wrapped around Engela, we walk put of school and onto the bus. We sit in the vary back together and I fill her in on what happened when she was gone.

"So are you to going to the fair together?" Sara, the bus driver, says from the front seat.

"Yes, we are actually. Will you be driving there?"

"No, I won't be driving. I get tonight off. But I hope you to have fun."

Engela smiles. "I have a dress picked out for tonight. I hope you like it." She blushes deeply as people storm onto the bus.

"If your wearing it, I'm bound to love it."

"Your not just saying that? For me?"

"No Engela, I'm not just saying that. Get used to complements. You deserve them."

She smiles and rests her head on my shoulder as we both look out the window. Tonight will be perfect.