30.| blood splatter

Start from the beginning

If it was any other time, Alistair would have appreciated the forest. The leaves were mostly yellow and falling as fall rolled around. The night was falling and there was something magical about it. The tree ruffled with wind and it sounded like distant whispers. The birds were flying low towards their nests, squirrels hid in their trees.

It would have been only him and nature.

But at that moment, it was him, Sully and the suffocating anxiety that surrounded Brooke's disappearance.

"Dad!"

His heart stopped but his legs ran like never before. The trees blurred as he sprinted. The wind was harsh and against him as it howled.

The endless forest seemed to end to their relief. The tree line broke into a nice clearing with a small lake. Next to the lake was a small wooden cabin. The whole scenery was out of a painting. But something so beautiful was tainted by screams of despair and sorrow.

Alistair knew, he just knew this is where Brooke was. He started to run towards the cabin but Sullivan held his forearm.

"Dude! We have to wait for the cops, we don't know who else is in there," Sully whispered but Alistair couldn't care less. He ripped his arm away and headed towards the door.

His heart was pumping, his chest was screaming and the air was too cold, the wind was a barrier between him and the cabin. But he pushed through.

He felt like he was out of his body as he sprinted. He watched from above as he kicked the door down. It fell off its hinges.

The cabin was empty, completely bare. There was no furniture and no sign of people whatsoever. The only indication of people being here was the blood that was oozing under a room door. It was slipping through the small opening, it ran like a river and it chilled Alistair to his bones.

Maybe he should wait for the cops?

But his instinct struck a cord in him and he walked slowly to the door. He was careful not to step on the blood in case it was-

He shook his head. He didn't want to think this way.

She was screaming a few minutes before. She must be okay.

He gave the door knob a try. It was unlocked. He opened the door and instantly hid behind a wall. He waited for a few seconds to make sure there is no gun fight. He walked in and bumped into something.

It was somebody's arm.

It was Orion's arm. His whole body froze, he was blown away by a snow storm. The blood that covered the floor was his and that thought was extremely disturbing yet relieving. It wasn't Brooke.

He looked up from the ground and he finally saw her.

And he froze in a totally different way. In a way that made him breathe yet stole it away. In a way that was cold and warm. It was a sunny day with chilly wind. It was a dream trapped in a nightmare.

She was sitting in a wooden chair. Her legs and wrists were bound. Her head hung low, her hair fell on either sides of her face. She was a beautiful tragedy at that moment and it kept pulling at his heartstrings.

He strode towards her. His footsteps steady and quiet. He knelt in front of her, his heart in his throat.

"Brooke," He whispered as he cupped her cheek.

She immediately woke up. Her head jerked up, her eyes round and scared. She breathed fast. Her eyes blinked once, twice and then three times before she remotely calmed down.

"Alistair?" She asked. Her voice almost gone from all the screaming she had done.

"It's me, Brooke. I'm here."

It was all it took for her to burst out crying. She wailed into his shoulder. All the overwhelming emotions and events catching up to her. She continued to sob as he untide her and carried her bridal-style.

She continued to cry till her body gave out and even then her tears kept dropping like rain every now and then.

Woooof! That was really hard to write for some reason. The past few chapters were really hard for me. I didn't have the energy or the motivation, I was also doubting my writing skills and kinda all over the place but I'm getting there.

Anyway... I hope it at least made you a little anxious or worried about Brooke (because that's the point of this chapters.) And I also hope you enjoyed it.

Thank you super much. Love u all.