Chapter 1 Royal Proposal

Start from the beginning

Those that were named nod their heads and the council leave the council room. Haraldur goes to find his best friend and tell him the news that they will be traveling to Rivendell as emissaries of Erebor. He finds Gimli in the practice yard sparring with one of the young recruits.

“Very good, Lad, now plant your feet firmly and your shoulder relaxed.”

The two Dwarves clashed. The young recruit was doing very well but was still no match for Gimli and his axe. Once the match was over and Gimli help the young recruit up, Haraldur made his way down to the practice yard.

“That was a mighty fine match, my friend.”

“Not really, the Lad hardly was a challenge. Why don't you grab your sword and we'll go a few rounds.”

“I'd love to, Gimli but I have news for you.”

Gimli planted his axe in the ground, “Oh, and what news do you have for me?”

“You and I have been chosen by the king to be emissaries for the kingdom of Erebor at a meeting in Rivendell.”

“No.”

“Of course, we will not be going alone, your father and Dwalin will be accompanying us along with a company of guards.”

“Of course, can't have a prince of Erebor going off unguarded,” Gimli says with a smirk.

Haraldur shoves his best friend and they both laugh.

“So, when do we leave?”

“In a week.”

“That's more than enough time to get my axes cleaned and sharpened and give you a chance to finally propose to your One,”  Gimli says with a smirk.

Haraldur punches Gimli in the shoulder causing Gimli to laugh as Haraldur storms out of the practice room. He had been thinking of proposing for a long time now. He and Tilda, named after her great aunt, had been courting for two years now and Haraldur felt it was time to ask for her hand. He had, of course, gotten Thorin's permission quite some time ago he just needed to get King Girion's permission.

Haraldur decided that he would propose to his One before he left to the council in Rivendell. Haraldur made his way to his room in the royal wing of the castle. He walked into his room and went straight to the washroom to bathe. After he finished bathing he changed into a white tunic, black trousers, his royal blue chain mail shirt, and his black coat. Strapping his sword to his waist, and his wand to his wrist. Haraldur goes to his dresser, grabs the betrothal bead he had made for Tilda and puts it in his pocket. He leaves his room and runs right into his father.

Thorin looked at Haraldur curiously and sees his son begin to blush and fidget nervously. A smile begins to spread across Thorin's face, “Ah, I see you are finally going to ask for Princess Tilda's hand in marriage.”

“How did you know?”

“You are nervous and fidgeting, the last time you were like that you asked her if you could court her,” Thorin said with a chuckle.

Haraldur narrowed his eyes at his father, “You are not making this any easier, Adad.”

Thorin wrapped his arm around Haraldur's shoulder, “I am your father, it is my duty to make fun of you.”

“Very funny, Adad,” Haraldur hugs Thorin, “I am going now.”

“Would you like me to go with you?”

“No, thank you, Adad, I think I should do this myself.”

Thorin nod, “May Mahal be with you, my son.”

“Thank you, Adad.”

Haraldur makes his way to the stables where he has one of the stable boys saddle his pony. He gets on his pony and rides down to Dale toward the royal palace.

Upon his arrival to the palace, the herald announced him to the king. King Girion stood up from his chair in his study and came over to greet Haraldur.

Prince Haraldur, it is wonderful to see you. How fares the kingdom of Erebor?

“All is well, your Majesty, how fares the kingdom of Dale?”

“The same, what brings you by today?” As if he didn't know.

Haraldur took a deep breath, “Your Majesty I have come to ask for your permission to ask for Tilda's hand in marriage.”

Girion gave him a sly smile, “I was wondering when you would ask for her hand. Of course, you have my permission to ask for her hand.” Girion says with a chuckle.

Haraldur smiles brightly, his green eyes shining, “Thank you, your Majesty. I must tell you though that the marriage will have to wait until I return from my travels.”

“Ah yes, the council in Rivendell, we too received a raven on the matter.”

“Will you be sending a representative?”

“No, King Thorin and I have decided that since our kingdoms are soon to be united you will represent both kingdoms.”

Haraldur nods. Girion smiles at Haraldur, “I am sure you are anxious to speak with my daughter. Why do you not go now? She was out in the garden earlier.”

Haraldur thanked King Girion and left to see his love. He found her exactly where he said she would be. Tilda was in the process of picking flowers with her handmaiden following behind her. He smiled at the sight.

“The roses do not compare to your beauty, my love.”

Tilda turned around and smiled at the sight of Haraldur standing at the entrance to the garden. She goes rushing towards Haraldur and jumps into his awaiting arms. Haraldur hugs her tightly and twirls her around. He kisses her sweetly on the lips.

“What brings you here, my love?”

Haraldur smiles, “I came today to speak with your father.”

There is an excitement in Tilda's eyes as she stares at her beloved, “And what exactly did the two of you speak of?”

Haraldur takes her by the hand and leads her to the gazebo near a pond. They sit down and he takes her hands in both of his, “I came to ask your father's permission for us to become betrothed. That is of course if you will have me, my love.”

Tilda launched herself into Haraldur's arms and hugged him tightly, “Of course I will have you, my prince. You are the love of my life I would be honored to be your wife.”

Haraldur pulled Tilda away from him and cupped her face, he gently kissed her lips and they both sighed. He then pulled out the bead that he had in his pocket. It was a bead made out of mithril and sapphire, the colors of the House of Durin with a raven carved into it. He sectioned off a piece of Tilda's blonde hair and began to braid it. Once he was finished Haraldur clipped the bead in her hair.

Tilda leans over and looks at her reflection in the pond. She lovingly strokes her new betrothal braid and looks at the bead. Turning to Haraldur she smiles at him, “You have made me the happiest Maiden in all of Dale and Erebor.”

“And you have made me the happiest Dwarf in Middle Earth, thank you, my love,” Haraldur then frowns making him look a little like Thorin, “There is only one problem.”

Tilda looks at him curiously, “What is that, my love?”

“We will not be able to marry for some time. I am being sent to Rivendell for a meeting with Lord Elrond and other Kingdoms of Middle Earth.”

Tilda nods, “Yes, my father made mention of this. He said that the Ring of Power has been found. Do not fret, my love. I will wait as long as it takes and upon your return, we will be married.”

Haraldur smiles at her and gathers her up in his arms, “You are a wonderful woman, Tilda, and I am proud to have you as my One. Men lananubukhs me.”

Tilda smiled, “I love you too.”

A/N I decided to publish the first chapter of this story to see if you all like it. But don't expect another one for a long time.