"I said, what ship passes through Smallport?" The man looked unimpressed.

"Is my money not good enough for you?" Nora spat, more annoyed for every minute that passed. Sighing deeply, the man put the dirty cloth aside and finally met her gaze.

"Listen puppet, it's early. You barge in here like you're something special and think a stinking copper is gonna get you anything? Do us both a favor and get the hell out of my inn." It took a few seconds for Nora to take in what the man had said. His indifference and nonchalance made her blood boil, and even though Nora considered herself a lady in every company except pirates, she did something very unladylike.

"No", she said, slamming her hand on the table. "You listen to me. I have been through hell and somehow managed to get back to civility. I've had men a lot scarier than you try to intimidate me, threatened to kill me and even tried a few times, and I've frankly had it. I am absolutely fed up with this attitude of yours and it is stopping me from getting home. So, take the money or not, I couldn't care less, but you will tell me where that ship is, and if you don't know, you will be a gentleman and show me to someone who does, is that understood?" She was almost panting when she was done. It was safe to say that the man was no longer indifferent. His earlier facade of boredom had been wiped away, replaced with a surprised and uncertain expression. Nora even thought a hint of fear gleamed in his eyes. Not so tough now, she thought, crossing her arms as she waited for his answer.

"The baroness sails through Smallport. She's docked south of the harbor", the man said in a timid voice, leaning back as to get as far away from her as possible without moving. Nora sighed in contempt and gave him a smile.

"Thank you. I suppose that wasn't so hard." Snatching the copper from the table, Nora turned and walked out of the inn. "You won't be needing this, I'm assuming the information was given from the goodness of your heart", she said as she held the coin between two fingers and slammed the door shut, leaving the man staring after her with his mouth wide open.

Walking through the harbor Nora had a new spring in her step. A boost of confidence had burst through her and she felt unstoppable, powerful. Some looked curiously as she navigated south, but she didn't mind them, she was on a mission. The south of the harbors were filled with long docks, made for bigger ships. There were currently three large ships docked there, one grander than the other. Nora couldn't make out the names, however. Everywhere men were loading and unloading barrels and coffins, filled with all kinds of merchandise. Some had silk and velvet whilst others had fish and salt. None of that interested Nora however, all she wanted to know was which one of the ships that would be her ticket home. Hoping that one of the sailors would be more helpful than the innkeeper she asked for directions. And soon enough she was pointed in the direction of one of the ships.

"She sails in a few hours, quite the beauty she is", the sailor said as he pointed towards the ship. Nora could only agree. Staring at the white sails she felt hopeful. Glimpses and memories of home flashed before her eyes as she studied the ship. It was so close now; she could almost touch it. What had only been a dream, a wish to the night sky, was now a reality. Walking up to the loading bridge, her hands began to shake, and it was hard for Nora to believe that it was happening.

"Could you point me in the direction of the captain please?" she asked another sailor that was screaming out orders to the others. The sailor looked her up and down.

"We don't need more crew, if you're looking for work, Queen Regina is looking for a cook." Nora opened her mouth to protest but found herself lost for words. Suddenly another picture formed in her head. Instead of home, of the walls of Governor's mansion and her old servants room, she saw herself as a young girl, dreaming of adventure. For a moment she felt lost and she wondered if what she had always considered home, where she'd considered to belong, really was the place for her. Whether she liked it or not, these six months had changed her. Maybe her old life wouldn't be enough anymore. Maybe this was her chance, her chance for something more. For an adventure she'd always dreamed of, but one that she'd chosen for herself. Also, one preferably not involving pirates. Looking at the baroness and her comforting sails that promised her home, she took one deep breath and turned her back on the ship. She wasn't going home. Frankly she did not know where she was going. All she knew was that she was not going back and that this time, the captain of the adventure would be no one but herself. 

------------

Thank you so much for reading this story! It has been the biggest of pleasures to write it and to find so many to enjoy it! To have over 20 k reads was something I'd never thought would happen and I am so thankful! 

If you have enjoyed this book, you will be glad to know that there is a sequel luring somewhere, but when it will be published is unknown and I don't want to make promises. Nora and James have a special place in my heart and I do have one more adventure planned for them, but I also want it to be good and well worked. 

Thank you once again for all the support, for the wonderful comments and for loving the characters as much as I do. You truly are great, all of you!

Love, Lia