Just as he was about to answer, a frustrated shout from down the hall reached our ears, followed by angry voices. I looked over towards Damien only to find him already speed walking down the hall. I grabbed him before he turned the corner and raised a finger to my lips.

I wanted to hear this conversation.

Stepping forward, we both quietly leaned against the wall, my hand gently resting on the wall beside me as I peeked out from behind it. My eyes narrowed as they landed on Elle's familiar golden locks.

She was arguing with some brunette with dark sea colored eyes, and pale skin. The girls cheeks were flushed with color as she raised her voice at Elle, her eyes brimming with an unbelievable amount of hatred and disapproval.

I frowned.

Elle was an absolute fuckin angel, was it even possible for someone to hate her?

"This friend," I heard Damien say from behind me, silently answering my question from earlier, and I stared up at him for a few moments, before my mind managed to piece everything together.

I remembered Jayden's words just seconds before we were ambushed by those vampires.

"Does he already have a chosen mate?" I had curiously asked.

"No, he'd never."

"But the werewolf kingdom needs a Queen, he would've chosen someone sooner or later."

"Now he doesn't have to."

"Who was the candidate?" I inquired, and Jayden turned to look at me, but he didn't meet my eyes, instead he looked straight back at the road.

I remembered at dinner when I felt that searing hot gaze on my back, and quickly turned around only to catch a glimpse of this very same woman.

I giggled, the sound slipping through my lips as he gazed down at me with an emotion I could barely make out, before he got distracted, his gaze drifting over my shoulder, and narrowing on someone far behind me, a warning look flashing in his eyes.

Instinctively, I turned to follow his gaze, my mind immediately wondering what exactly he was looking at, but I paused when he suddenly grabbed my hand, once again pulling it up to his lips, causing me to smile at his attempt to divert my attention.

Hah.

I turned around regardless, only to catch the smallest glimpse of a pair of dark blue eyes, until the wolf turned away and went back to their conversation.

I remembered Livius' words to me on the way to our picnic.

"I'm sorry," I told him, in response to his earlier answer, "Growing up in a castle is boring enough. Having to do it on your own must be a thousand times worse."

"Well, I wasn't completely on my own," he shrugged, "I had a friend. I just didn't like her very much."

And I remembered the bittersweet feeling I had last night.

Before I knew it, I was already coming out from behind the wall, a frown still tugging at my lips as their conversation reached my ears.

"Shut up, Victoria, please just stop talking. Don't you realize that literally no one cares that you're here?" Elle bit out, her voice laced with annoyance.

The girls nose flared. "Stop disrespecting me, runt. Someone like you wouldn't even be allowed to look me in the eyes without getting punished. You were nothing until Jayden accepted you as his mate, and to this day I still wonder why he even bothered," she practically snarled back.