The elderly couple froze in what they were doing, wide-eyed and stunned. But they quickly darted their attention elsewhere. They had been sweet and doting, especially the wife, but you imagined after your latest comment they would be a little more reluctant.

Monro hadn't specified about what horse to take so you took the one he had tied up outside the house. His horse. You raced the mare through the dusty streets of New York and along the dirt path into the woodlands. You navigated through the landscape like you had been taught to do, keeping your trek as north as possible. You avoided the soldiers along the main road and kept mostly to the streams.

When the horse tired, you walked. You only stopped long enough to let the mare drink and eat. And when the night was too dark to travel, you hunkered down until the break of dawn. You didn't bother setting up a camp or a fire because it would have wasted precious time.

You pulled the letter out of your jacket and stared at the wax seal. "Better be worth it," you muttered, glaring over at the mare as she eagerly drunk after the hard ride. You stuffed it back into your jacket. You wanted to leave as soon as possible. Shay could be up and walking around or worse... dying. Would he even realize you had watched over him? Would he think you abandoned him?

When the sun rose the next morning you started off again. Monro had been right. It did take you two days to finally reach the battlefield, the scarred and torn earth, the scattered fragments of leftover debris. You rode quickly yet carefully to the encampment. You marched between tents and stares before being stopped by aimed rifles.

You pulled out the wrinkled letter and showed its seal to the weary men.

They gave each other hesitant glances before leading you to the commander's tent. You trudged forward and pushed the crumpled missive into the man's chest.

He was wide-eyed and stunned, barely catching hold of it. He cleared his throat and peeked at the seal. "This is from... Monro?"

You clenched your teeth. "Obviously."

The older man peeled apart the wax and unfolded the parchment. He must have read it twice before calling one of his charges over and stuffing the orders into his jacket. "Get the boys ready to pull up camp. We're moving." He turned his attention back to you, perhaps a little hesitant. "You are... more than welcomed to grab a meal while you're here. We have supplies..."

"I'm needed elsewhere." You didn't want to rest. You didn't want to eat. You wanted to get back to Shay. A part of you wanted to be the first person he saw when he woke. Another part just wanted him to be alright. You didn't care who he saw so long as he was alive and well.

You eagerly left the encampment but not before snagging some provisions that were lying out on the table. A few soldiers blurted out protests but no one dared to chase after you. You returned to your mount and rode a bit slower back towards New York. A twinge of guilt made you somewhat regretful after having been so harsh to her.

Your arrival to the city was bittersweet. The sun was setting, the sky set aflame with red. Your heart was racing and fingers trembling with adrenaline. You left the horse at the stables and walked briskly through the darkening cobblestone streets. Every person that brushed shoulders with you or stood in your way only fueled your frustration. Thoughts raced quicker than your heart beat. You couldn't imagine the state that Shay might be in when you arrived.

You threw open the front door and took long strides through the house to the bedroom on the second floor. You had to make sure he was alright. But when your eyes found the bed empty, the bed neatly made, your breath tangled tightly inside of your chest. "Shay..." You spun on your heels and hurried out of the room. You could hear someone downstairs. The elderly couple perhaps and you hoped they would have answers for you.