Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter: 1

Start from the beginning

-Nyx how close are we to home and Attila? - Sorin asked me mentally.

-10 yards to the right of us. - I answered back.

The forest was home to five packs, the Attila pack is the biggest one living in the forest, the Valko pack was the second largest, Ulric is the third pack, Tyr was the fourth pack and Ylva was the fifth pack of the forest. Sorin and I were from a different pack that no longer resides in the forest. Most of our pack was from one of the five forest packs that is until our tags changed. On the day of our births we are given by the goddess a necklace that is made up of three different tags, one tag is our birth tag stating the day we were born and what moon we were born under, the second tag is our pack tag each pack has a pack symbol and our pack tag holds that symbol, and the last tag tells what pack we are from so that we never forget our history.

The wind picked up carrying with it the scent of another pack that wasn’t one of the five packs that lived in this forest. It didn’t look like the others picked it up yet. I was the lookout so I was more alert to the changes then the other where so it wasn’t all that odd for me to pick up something before them.

-Sorin there is another pack nearby and it isn’t one of the five. - I said mentally while listening for the other packs foot falls to determine where they were in the forest.

-How far away from us are they? - Sorin asked back visibly tensing up with this news.

-They are in Valko territory. 15 yards to the far left of us.-

-How far away are we from home?-

-If we pick up our speed will meet with the Attila pack and be home in less than 5 minutes.- With that everyone picked up the pace.

Soon we come to the boarder and about to enter into the clearing that held the large cabins that we and the Attila pack called home. We slowed down and shifted into human form before breaking into the clearing. The guys put on some jeans that had been tied to their monstrous hind legs’ ankle while I put on the over sized t-shirt which came down to the top of my knees that had been tied to my hind ankle once I had my shirt on I checked to make sure my 5 year old twin sons had their jeans on. As we walked slowly further into the clearing I drew my sons’ hands into mine own. I walked in the center along with my sons while the guys surrounded us with Sorin up in front leading the group.

There sitting on the steps of the second largest cabin was a group of males. When they caught sight of us they stared with wide eyes. Sorin was the Alpha of the Ruling pack and it was larger than any of the others. Attila’s pack only had maybe ten less pack members then us. One of the younger males in the back got up and headed into the house to get Attila no doubt. We where half way to the cabin when the front door opened again and out step our Uncle Attila and Aunt Milena onto the cabin’s porch. We stopped 2 yards away from the cabin and waited while Attila came down the stairs to stand in front of Sorin. Attila scanned the pack and then turned his attention back to Sorin.

“Sorin, you are home early. What has happened?” Attila asked as he scanned our pack making sure all were accounted for and trying to find out why we had returned home early before giving Sorin and I a slight bow of his head.

“We’ve got trouble uncle. There is something hunting Ancients and they are excellent at it. We just barely out ran them on our way back home. We need to talk further inside.” Sorin replied with a slight nod of his head towards the cabin.

“Come on inside and let us talk.” Attila said causing all of us to move as one towards the house.

Once in the house everyone gathered into the kitchen where Aunt Milena served hot coffee to the guys. I settled my twins Deimos and Phobos down at the table with a glass of milk. Each step I took towards the table was punctuated by the jingling sounds of my tags hitting against each other and against the charms that represented my twin boys. I sat down at the table with my twins on one side and my twin brother on the other. As Aunt Milena set a glass of water in front of me I heard the jingle of her tags, the 3 charms for her children, and her wedding ring all creating music as she walked bring back memories of a time that was now long gone. After sitting down I turned my attention to where Attila was leaning back in his chair with arms folded over his chest looking at each one of the pack members.