Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

“I’m gonna have my way with you before I put an end to this completely.”

You direct a punch at their jaw the second you feel their hand slip under your shirt, earlier words making you  nauseated. They budge and curse but stay firm in their decision, using their other hand to grab your face and pull you in for another kiss, tongue attempting to pry into your mouth.

“Screw off!” you exclaim, kneeing them in the gut.

Their hold on you loosens as they bring a hand to their stomach and double over, groaning in pain. You scramble out of bed, tugging your shirt down as a shudder makes your entire body shake. The pungent taste of blood is present in your mouth and you feel nauseous when you remember their tongue trying to force its way into your mouth. Too shaken by Jessie’s actions, you don’t notice their recovery until they grab you, pushing you down in bed again.

Jessie’s hands find their way to your neck, hold tighter than a snake’s. You gasp for air while your foot tries to aim a kick at their stomach again.

“Faust hates me -- Everyone I love hates me because of you!”

They prevent your kick by tightening their hold on you. You try again, refusing to give in despite your blurry vision and lack of oxygen. It’s weaker than you intend to, but it’s just enough for them to tumble and loosen their hold on you slightly.

“(Y/N)!”

Faust’s voice rings clear, halting your plans of fighting back again when you lift your head to see him and the same bailiff from court next to him. The newbie officer rushes to your side with a gun in hand and badge on his uniform, warning Jessie with the weapon by ordering them to stand with their hands up. Obligated to follow his orders, Jessie grits their teeth, scoffs, and gets off of you, giving you one last, dirty look before the man in blue takes hold of them and brings out handcuffs to keep them still.

You melt in bed when you’re set free, chest rising and falling as you close your eyes and shudder once more. Faust calls your name and approaches you, hair tickling your face when he climbs up in bed and nestles close to your side.

“I’ll be taking Jessie with me now, (ma’am/sir). . . Do you need me to call someone for you?”

“No. . . It- It’s fine.” You stumble on your words, chest and mind tight with pent up emotions. “Thank you, officer.”

You feel helpless, but you don’t want Faust to know that. Declining his help is the only thing you can come up with to put on a stronger facade.

The atmosphere of people talking and the performer singing her heart out from the jukebox set in a corner grant you relaxation, though you still can’t help your shaky hands and the constant flashbacks from this morning. Grillby sets a plate of fries down in front of you, a scrutinizing look on his face despite having no distinct features besides his glasses. He orders an employee to go fetch you a bottle of water while he sets the dish rag on the counter, crossing his arms together afterwards.

“. . .” (“Are you sure that’s all you want? You look ill.”)

The device wrapped around his wrist helps translate what he means to say. You ask over who designed it and receive the name Alphys as a response. It was in many ways helpful -- both for the privacy it gave now that you didn’t need a person to translate for him, and that it was able to replace that person when they weren’t available to translate for you.

“Thanks, but I’m fine with this -- I’m not too hungry right now.”

You touch your lips with the tips of your fingers when you say that, patting the cut you received yourself the second time Jessie kissed you. Sickened, you swallow and grab the bottled water as soon as it's given to you, chugging down half of it in one swig.

“. . .” (“I won’t press on, but I assume it has something to do with your case, right? I read about it in the newspaper this morning.”)

“Really? What did it say?” you ask, unaware of any updates from the news. You were too caught up with the previous matter to worry too much about that. Grillby answers by holding a finger up to excuse himself as he crouches behind the counter, retrieving a newspaper not long after. He sets it down in front of you, pointing at the headlines.

“Former officer (Y/N) (L/N) takes their first step towards monsterkind’s rights,” you read to yourself, glancing at the smaller font below the title. “(Miss/Mister) (L/N) confronted the mayor Monday afternoon, pointing out the disbalance between Jessie and Sans’s sentences. Most monsters agree with their actions as do a handful of the human population, inspiring a small chain of movements to erase the laws keeping the two races apart.”

You decide to read the entire article, too engrossed in the topic to back away from it now.

“Rebellion tampers with the sharp rise in (L/N)’s reputation when local police contact both them and Sans to question over broken laws after the monster brings (L/N) with him to what appears to be miss Toriel's home, the school principal he currently works for. Both people involved failed to follow the rules, though they both claim it was for the sole sake of helping (L/N) when their car shut down in the middle of a storm.”