Sam squeezed her shoulder with his opposite hand. "I never should have left you there--"

"No, there was nothing you could have done," she insisted. "I'd made up my mind. And you know how I get." They tearfully laughed.

Dani stared into his eyes for a moment. It was like the rest of the world was in a haze, and he was the only thing that was clear to her. 

Her soft smile faded as she continued. "When I saw you, it was different from the... training she'd put me through." Dani shuddered at the memory. "It was really you. And no matter how much I came at you, you pleaded with me. And eventually it broke through some barrier and I heard you." She shook her head in awe. Still, she could not understand it. "I started screaming. I pushed and I thrashed inside whatever cage I had been locked up in inside my head until I kicked her out."

Sam's eyes shone, but he smiled at her. The only word he could find for what he was feeling was pride. Pride at the woman he had fallen in love with and what she could accomplish. Pride at the fact that she did not break, did not yield, no matter what she faced.

Dani took his face in her hands now. His eyes fluttered closed for a second at how real she felt. She was here.

"You are the best thing to ever happen to me, Sam Winchester," her voice was clear, like she had never known anything to be truer. "I love you more than words can say. And I will always, always protect you."

She pulled him toward her and pressed a kiss to his mouth, quick and sure. When they pulled away, Sam was left a little breathless. Without a word, he stood and lifted her into his arms in an easy motion. A little gasp escaped Dani's lips. Sam's chuckle rumbled through her like distant thunder.

Her dark eyes danced and she teased, "I can walk, you know. I think I've proven that much."

Sam kissed her once more. "You're still healing." She rolled her eyes. "You don't have to walk anywhere."

"I think you're in way worse shape than I am, soldier."

He laughed again and carried her bridal-style all the way to her bedroom.

Dani couldn't remember the last time she'd slept in that bed.

******

"Jordan--"

"No."

Dani sat across the King of Hell with her arms folded across her chest. Crowley's mouth flicked up with silent laughter. She was feisty, that much was certain.

Of course, Sam, Dean, and Castiel were in the library watching everything. Strangely, it was Dani who asked they keep their distance.

Dani did not react in the way any of them expected her to. When Sam told her, he braced himself for the anger, the flat-out refusal. But she had been quiet a moment, eyes thoughtful, chewing on her cheek. Then, she simply said, "Let's give the bastard what he wants."

She would give him what he wanted, all right. But it would be by her rules. And rule number one? Use her goddamn name.

Crowley surveyed her with a kind of appreciation. Finally, he conceded, "Dani." Dani nodded once, a signal for him to continue.

"Well, firstly, I think we've all learned the consequences of trying to control something like you," he hummed. Dani bristled at the word "something", but kept her mouth shut.

"I'm guessing you learned the name of the demon that started your bloodline."

Dani swallowed, the memory there and gone in a flash. "Yes. Azazel."