Chapter 9: Meeting In The Woods

I waited by a spot under the tiny outcropping of a large formation of rocks. It was a beautiful place, right beside a very small creek. Through years of erosion, the creek had hollowed out a hole in a more grassy area, creating a tiny tunnel, big enough for only someone's head. After going into the watery tunnel, it fell downwards in a tiny waterfall. I could never see it, but I could hear it, and sometimes, I could feel it with my fingertips if I reached far enough.

All the stones were covered with moss (and there were many stones, it took a lot of scrambling to get to this spot) and the trees were blocking out the sky in a beautiful canopy, casting a greenish glow onto the area.

I had my dress folded up into my waistband, folding it in half, in a way. I hadn't bothered with any stockings, and I had kicked off my work boots, standing barefoot in the water.

I was standing in the creek, letting the chilled water brush around my feet, creating a cold strand at the water level, as my feet had gone numb. Suddenly, I heard the sound of rocks falling over each other. I whipped around to see Joseph's hand reaching over the ledge. I left the creek and climbed up to him, helping pull him up. With my help, he pulled himself on top of the rock's outcropping, laughing and panting.

"You come here often?" He said, still laughing.

"Almost everyday," I said. "the hike gets easier as the powers grow."

"Speaking of which, you said that you finished the spell?" He sat down properly, his legs tucked up underneath him. I sat by his side, and grabbed his hand to hold gently.

"It took me a while, but it works. It's a very basic sleeping spell, but I used a broken clock to 'stop time' in a way. She'll never age in her sleep, as well." I explained. I let go of his hand and pulled the potion out of my satchel. I handed it to him gently.

"What if she refuses to drink it?" He asked.

I smiled and pulled another vial out of my bag, this one a pale pink color. "I call it 'Prick Of Roses.' This will make her irresistibly drawn to her downfall."

"Why roses?" He asked, taking the vial from me and examining it.

"I had to use rose petals in the spell, so that it would just make her sleep, not kill her. But it gives off the scent of roses, she'd smell it a mile away. This one is odorless. Put both these in her drink and she'll be drawn to the nearest rose. Should she happen to prick her finger, she'll fall asleep. And 'Prick Of Roses' will make it so that she'll be compelled to prick herself." I explained.

He nodded and tucked the vial into his own bag that was slung over his shoulder. He then turned to me. "This is it," he said.

"I know. I'm almost excited." I said. Then I stopped myself. My smile faded. "Is that bad?"

Joseph turned to me with a caring smile. "Of course not. This is just the two of us securing our future," he cupped my face with his hand. "A little darkness is fine, Elise. No one is pure."

"No one is pure..." I repeated. He was right. No one is pure. Not me, not Clara, not Briar Rose. I was dark, but that wasn't wrong. Besides, love is one of the strongest forces on earth. And if love was what brought the darkness to me, it couldn't be wrong. It couldn't.

So why not indulge a little more?

"I want to do it." I said.

"What?" His hands dropped from my face.

"I want to be there when she falls. I want to watch her be drawn to the object that destroys her," I said. "let me do it. All you have to do is give her the Prick of Roses spell. Just put it in her tea."

He was smiling again, but this time his eyebrows curled downwards in a sly smile. "That sounds perfect. Although, her room is always locked. How will you get in?"

I smiled. "I think I have an idea. She likes roses, we'll give her the thorns. Trust me. I know how to get in."

He stood up and pulled me up with him. "And then we'll be together," he placed his hand on my cheek, and I placed mine over his. " I love you," he whispered.

It was then that I remembered Clara's words. Suddenly, I was worried that the words that were once the proof that he loved me were just platitudes. "Do you?" I asked.

"Why would I lie to you?" He asked me. He tilted my head up to look him in the eyes. "Without you, I'm nothing. I can't live without you," his other hand lowered towards my waist, forcing my untucked top upwards slightly, as his thumb slowly moved in tiny circles.

I placed my hand over his and moved his arm upwards, closer to my chest. We slowly pulled in, and allowed our lips to part. The kiss felt deeper than the other ones, stronger and more passionate. He started to lean back, going back onto the ground, and I came with him, laying on top of him. Our lips parted, and I looked back down into those icy blue eyes.

My mind slowly becoming at ease, my face fell back into a smile. "Never leave me, Joseph."

He answered that request with another kiss. Joseph let a risky hand cross my thigh. I knew where we were going, so I allowed it to stay. It was clear. We were both drunk on our dark love. Maybe if I had realized that, things would have turned out better.